A Cat D???? Kidding me!

2009 Ford Fiesta 1.2 Zetec 82 Damaged Salvage Cat D | eBay

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

omega0684

posted on 18/9/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't have been surprised if int he add it said

"Minor damage that im sure will polish out!"

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 18/9/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
How the hell do they decide on the classification of these things?! I've never bought a damaged car to repair myself but I've bought them as spares cars & been involved with a few that have gone back on the road & it varies wildly. You see something like that as a Cat D & other times a Cat B with very little wrong, mabye even usuable as it is.

To be fair though with that Fiesta it may be nowhere near as bad as it looks, I know of a Punto that looked about as bad but there was no structural damage at all, just the top edge of the inner wing & the slam panel around the headlight were the only parts with any real damage that wern't bolt on. 6 months old under 4k on the clock & back on the road for about £3000 all in.

Confused but excited.

posted on 18/9/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
"It is a Cat D but we have no V5 at the moment" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/9/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
The categorisations are not opinions, but mathematics

Cat D Repairable where the estimated repair costs are not economic, but do not exceed the value of the vehicle

Cat C Repairable where the estimated repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle

Cat B Not repairable, but the salvage retains value, break only

Cat A Not repairable where the salvage has no value

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

hillbillyracer

posted on 18/9/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
That's just it though, quite often the cars dont seem to fit in the catergary they've been given.
You'll see something that's had an mabye a scrape up the side needing a wing & two doors or a light engine bay or dash fire & fair enough the repair cost is beyond the value of the vehicle due to it being something like 8-10 years old or a classic but still perfectly repairable but it's a Cat B. And at the other end of the scale there'll be a Cat D looking like it really should be on a jig to at least make sure it's still straight & needing a load of parts & you struggle to see how it could be fixed (at least taking labour & new parts into account) for less than it'd be worth just before it was crashed.
It may be based on mathematics but it's decided by a human being, using their opinion!

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/9/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
It is normally decided by a computer program called Audatex, you simply add all the damage details, list the parts and it throws a total at you

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.