Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hold on...
cd.thomson

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
hold on...

I'm not racist but... (the immortal line)

How come everyone I've spoken to in the kit car world is caucasian??

No silly comments please

Craig

iank

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've met some Asians with Lambo replicas, but I agree it's interesting. Same across the classic car/hotrod interests.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

prawnabie

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Very hard to word this without offending people but....

I would guess that upbringing has something to do with it - some religions are very strict in the fact that they almost dictate how a child should be brought up. This might keep certain groups away from things that would get them interested in the automotive field in general.

eddie99

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah what prawn said, i was also trying to word a sentence like that

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Steve Hignett

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
You should also make some sort of comment, that you bet everyone on here is hetrosexual too - that'll go down well (pun NOT intended )

David Jenkins

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen at least one black guy with a seven-style car...

...and the bloke who cut my widscreen glass is 6+ foot tall, as black as they come, with dreadlocks. He drives a kit Lambo (and very nice it is too). Good bloke, and loves to chat about kits in general.

[Edited on 26/4/10 by David Jenkins]

cd.thomson

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
those saudi chaps who built a locost spring to mind too but its clearly the exception to the rule.

I wonder if they realise theres better things to do than spending 3 hours in the garage just looking for the spanner thats in your back pocket

Craig

Ninehigh

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Might have something to do with the British and their affection for being in sheds

woodster

posted on 27/4/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
asian lads in bolton are really big into cars .... lambos, audi a8s , mercs amg just some of the cars you see young asian lads driving around in ... i saw a white ferrari california the other day with young asian guy driving ..... sundays they go to the car wash on daubhill.
RK

posted on 27/4/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Again, foreigner point of view:

Often immigrant groups spend a lot of time trying to look successful. Spending all this time in a garage makes you look a bit weird, and only successful in a twisted English view (I'm so rich I can spend all this time building a car, when I COULD just go out and buy one, but don't want to because that would make me look rich). Read Stephen Potter's book on One Upmanship.

People also do what their friends do, and maybe some people's friends have better things to do than hang around dingy garages.

Also, they may not be aware of the long English history of small, nippy (you know what I mean) sports cars, that everybody's dad had at one time.

Obviously what is needed is a government programme aimed at getting young children of immigrants into the garage and out of the Ford showrooms! But seriously, a lot of people miss out on a very interesting community of car geeks, don't they?

eznfrank

posted on 29/4/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
My best mate is asian (not religious or anything) and is a total car nut. I think he'll end up buying a kit in the near future. He's a total CSD freak though so if he did it would have to be immaculate.

On a similar notr (in this country) how many black or asian guys do you see out on motorbikes?!?!

02GF74

posted on 1/5/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank

On a similar note (in this country) how many black or asian guys do you see out on motorbikes?!?!

very few compared to the number that drive cars.

Peteff

posted on 1/5/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
There's a nice Chinese kid comes to the bike shop with his ZX6R, he has the name Fu man on the bottom of his number plate.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/5/10 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
There's a nice Chinese kid comes to the bike shop with his ZX6R, he has the name Fu man on the bottom of his number plate.

If he gave you a stick of gum would it be Fu man chew?

I'll get me coat

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 2/5/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
As someone said, I tend to think it's a culture thing. As immigrants assimilate, proportionally more will enter the kit car scene.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/5/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
You should also make some sort of comment, that you bet everyone on here is hetrosexual too - that'll go down well (pun NOT intended )

Taking standard criteria for this sort of thing; as I think I am overweight when I look in the mirror and I am sexually attracted to women. I must be an anorexic lesbian.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.