Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fire engine crash
clairetoo

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Fire engine crash

Just because they are allowed to go through red lights doesnt mean they should do it without slowing down and watching out for other road users - what do you think ?
LINKY

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

02GF74

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Driver was listening to Queen CD.

Don't stop me now.

clairetoo

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Groan.............

Two things on the vid caught my eye - the three wheel trims rolling off down the road , and the way the driver of the second car just gets out and casually walks away

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Noid

posted on 13/9/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Groan.............

Two things on the vid caught my eye - the three wheel trims rolling off down the road , and the way the driver of the second car just gets out and casually walks away

3 things about the driver walking away,

He would be in a massive amount of shock.

Seeing as another fire engine has just turned up, he would have just been in the way.

No matter what the circumstances of an incident like this, our natural survival instincts kick in, even if for just a few seconds, you want to get away from the danger.
There are very few people who can almost instantly get over this instinct, it's just inbuilt and no matter how much we deny it, we are all the same.

I had a head on collision a couple of years ago (81 year old driving on my side of the road on a blind corner!), I had a mate and my girlfriend of the time in the car with me, I totally forgot about them, I climbed out of the car window, stumbled across the road and fell over.
Only to realise my mate was stuck in the back of the car. I got back over there just as the Mrs was freeing him.
I felt awful but knew that I must have been on "survival autopilot" and totally forgot about anyone else even being there.

Edit; Oh, and there is no excuse for that type for driving by anybody, no matter how big a red their vehicle is.
Just because you have lights and sirens doesn't mean everyone will see/hear you coming, especially at that speed!

[Edited on 13/9/09 by Noid]

cd.thomson

posted on 13/9/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Im not sure I agree, the taxi driver was clearly aware that it was approaching.

I think the driver of the family car was on autopilot like 70% of the drivers on the road. You only have to see an emergency vehicle trying to overtake a car that hasnt moved out of the way to realise a lot of people treat driving like a model train set - anything out of the ordinary and they just dont register or respond.

Just to add, yes that fireengine is going fast for the road conditions, im not disputing that.

Craig

clairetoo

posted on 13/9/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
It looked to me that the taxi driver was turning right and had stopped to wait for the car that got hit to cross the junction ?
The thing with those sirens - you can hear them for a long time before they get to you , but I for one can never work out where the noise is coming from - often until it's almost too late to get out of the way .

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

cd.thomson

posted on 13/9/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
but it doesnt matter where its coming from, because its getting louder, so you would show caution whatever you were doing on the road surely? especially crossing a crossroad.

I'm glad noone was badly injured because one thing is for sure, it was a very messy crash.

Craig

prawnabie

posted on 13/9/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Taxi driver was probably using someone else license thats way he bailed!
02GF74

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
it is criminal driving IMO - what if that was you in you 7 kit car or a motorcyclist?

JoelP

posted on 13/9/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, outrageous. They still have to give way even if they are allowed to go through a red. That guy had no chance to see them with the building there, and if he didnt hear it clearly then what was he to do? As said, a more vulnerable road user would've been spannered.

Would be interesting to know what sort of a call they were responding to to be driving that hard - RTA or cat in tree?

Dont think the taxi was turning right as he braked hard and late, like he was stopping for the fire engine.

[Edited on 13/9/09 by JoelP]

MikeRJ

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
The taxi driver would have had a better view up the road to the right than the oncoming car, which would have had to pull part way out of the junction before they could have seen anything.

As much as I agree about numpties driving around unaware of anything past the ends of their bonnets, a professional driver should be taking this into account. This was grossly irresponsible driving by whoever was piloting the fire engine (sorry, "appliance" ) IMO. That kind of speed in a town centre is ridiculous, lucky it was a car and not a pedestrian.

[Edited on 14/9/09 by MikeRJ]

clairetoo

posted on 14/9/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
y
Dont think the taxi was turning right as he braked hard and late, like he was stopping for the fire engine.

[Edited on 13/9/09 by JoelP]

Having re-watched it , I have to agree with you on that
I too would like to know what kind of `incident` he was in such a hurry to get to.............

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

geoff shep

posted on 14/9/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think the driver of the family car was on autopilot like 70% of the drivers on the road.

What if he was hearing impaired?....

MikeRJ

posted on 14/9/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

I too would like to know what kind of `incident` he was in such a hurry to get to.............

Chips going cold back at the station?

t.j.

posted on 14/9/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Simple: The firefighter is much driving too fast tru red!

How many times does your wife look to the right and left if they are driving with the traffic-light on green??

Someone with a bluelights and sirenes must beware of this.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

graememk

posted on 22/9/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
pump was going to fast, silly fecker in car not looking.
Ninehigh

posted on 22/9/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
How many times does your wife look to the right and left if they are driving with the traffic-light on green??

Strangely enough I do do that, and I look both ways when turning onto (or going across) a one-way street.

Christ I look both ways coming out of a door!

Why? Because everyone is a thick c**t (present company excepted as always!)

Brooky

posted on 23/9/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Operational fire appliance drivers HAVE to treat red lights as give way signs. If they have a crash, they havent given way.
It was completely the fire engine drivers fault.
IMHO.

jeffw

posted on 23/9/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
The Appliance hit the car at a hell of a speed....Nice for the following Appliance to stop though !

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooky
Operational fire appliance drivers HAVE to treat red lights as give way signs. If they have a crash, they havent given way.
It was completely the fire engine drivers fault.
IMHO.

tbh your totally correct

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 23/9/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I heard that the only vehicle that's allowed to go through red lights are post vans, because nothing's allowed to stop the Royal Mail.

Brooky

posted on 23/9/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
blue lights are allowed, however they HAVE to treat it as a give way.
If you have an accident, you never gave way.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.