Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolt pushing tool?
tegwin

posted on 6/5/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt pushing tool?

I am trying to remove the rear wishbones on the TVR to replace the bushes... the upper inner bolts are rusted solid to the ruch tubes.. no matter how hard I hit it I simply cant get the bolt to come free of the crush tube... This is a BIG problem.. as I cant remove the bolts!!!

Does anyone know of a tool that will basically slip over the bracket on the chassis and allow me to wind it in to try and force/push the bolt out of the bush?

I could make one.... but im lazy...

Failing that im going to have to saw through the crushtube and bolt either side of the wishbone eye which is going to make me bleed.... its VERY tight down there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

flak monkey

posted on 6/5/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you can get a puller on there you'll have a job pressing it out.

Even if you get a puller on there my bet is that you will bend the bracket before the bolt moves.

Its not uncommon to need to saw the bolts through to get old suspension joints apart. If you get a pad saw you should be able to get in there fairly easily.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

tegwin

posted on 6/5/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Baaaa gash! I didnt want to hear that! Its really not nice trying to saw those things...especially whilst lying on your back...

Do you think a reciprocating hand held saw would work?

Like this one:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/reciprocating-saw-bfs600e

[Edited on 6/5/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

02GF74

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like similar arrangement as on Land Rovers - there is a tool - Bushwhacker? that isfor installation and maybe removal of these; dunno if it will help you (& no, unfortunatley I don;t have one nor of anyone who has).

MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem on the lower arms on my Striker. Space was so tight it would have taken literaly hours to saw through by hand (1/2" stroke!) so I bought myself an air hacksaw which powered through it in a couple of minutes.
hillbillyracer

posted on 8/5/09 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
The normal way of doing this that I use is to weld a bolt/threaded bar to the bolthead, slip a piece of tube over (a deep socket the correct size for the offending bolt is great if allows the threaded bar to come right through), & wind a nut down to draw the seized bolt out.
This of course assumes you have a welder & there's room to do it.

bartonp

posted on 8/5/09 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Welding / OA on the bolthead will often free it up anyway. That and WD40. Lots.
focijohn

posted on 8/5/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
Welding / OA on the bolthead will often free it up anyway. That and WD40. Lots.

Sorry did you say something.....

Mate you need to come around and have a look at a real selection of hammers

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.