Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First day of hayfever
focijohn

posted on 14/4/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
First day of hayfever

Well i've been looking forward to this day all winter, havnt got any pills sorted. I was going to try the local honey trick but dnt get my arse together and try it.
No pills seem to sort it, pain in the arse. Sujestions? Or should i man up n shut it.

John

[Edited on 14/4/09 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

cd.thomson

posted on 14/4/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you resort to pills (like me) then buy the generic ones from tesco, 30 for the price of 7 named brand ones.
focijohn

posted on 14/4/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
i normally use morrisons, but as ive got older they seem to be less effective.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

smart51

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
You could try a different type of antihistamine. There are 2 or 3. Look to see what you usually use and try something else. Again, supermarket cheapies. I find Boots often sell Clarityn "2 for 1" if you're ever stuck.

Last year was bad for me and the Doctor gave me a nasal spray. That worked really well.

mads

posted on 15/4/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
There are various over-the-counter antihistamines available so it's a case of trial and error to see which one suits you. Below is a list of generic antihistamine drugs you can buy without a prescription.

Loratidine (aka Clarityn)
Cetirizine (aka Zirtek)
Chlorpheniramine (aka Piriton - can cause drowsiness)

You'll need to make sure you take them every day to build levels in your blood, particularly when the hayfever season really kicks off.
If it is nasal congestion which is bothering you, then a nasal spray may help e.g. Beconase or Flixonase (depending on if you are on other medication or have other illness).

If none of the above work then a trip to your doctor might be beneficial as there are other antihistamines which are prescription only that may help control your symptoms.

On the note of using locally produced honey, I tried that last year and found that it helped my symptoms considerably.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

flibble

posted on 15/4/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Go to the doctors and moan until they give you an injection of Steroids (they hate giving it out btw). I tried every pill going for 20 years with no ersults, local honey was the the best of a poor pick, alleviating it a bit - the steriods (Kenalog?) stopped it dead immediatley
cd.thomson

posted on 15/4/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
Go to the doctors and moan until they give you an injection of Steroids (they hate giving it out btw). I tried every pill going for 20 years with no ersults, local honey was the the best of a poor pick, alleviating it a bit - the steriods (Kenalog?) stopped it dead immediatley

do they hate giving it out in the same way they hate giving out antibiotics? like, for a reason?

Craig

flibble

posted on 15/4/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much, yes - steroids arn't the friendliest of drugs in high doses but the choice of that or eyes so swollen and runny that you cant see more than 20 yards and sneezing fits that last literal hours make it an easy choice for me.
DarrenW

posted on 15/4/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Went to farm with kids at weekend. Sitting on hay bails brought mine on. I usually get sneezes, itchy eyes etc etc. If you have pain in the bum then it might not be hay fever

focijohn

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Doc's sounds good when my brother went they just gave him his body weight in piriton, ill try thr pills for a bit longer. Already done:
Piriton .
Zertec.
Morrisons cheapies.
and i think that i have had a go on Clarityn.

just need my 7 then i can open up my naisal

David Jenkins

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I just use a nasal spray (Nasonex) - enough to keep the worst at bay.

Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Radio dj last year asked where do you get local honey from when you live in the middle of london?

Mind you in that case how the hell is anything triggering hayfever?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.