Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT HDCD - where to buy?
02GF74

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
OT HDCD - where to buy?

... basically searching for Unknown Pleasures on HDCD, if it ever existed.

anyone know of anywhere that sells HDCD?

(Note: this is not same as SACD which appears to be the more popular format, no guesses as to which format my DAC supports! )

..... but if it exists, I won't be paying this much!!

[Edited on 3/3/09 by 02GF74]

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
ohhh its an old scratchy in gold this time CD sorry all my stuffs MP3 these days, hated CD's as they turned out even more fragile than tapes at twice the price, though they do look cool being zapped in a microwave. Can't wait till the DVD's get replaced with chips

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
looks like you can play one on the PC?

stolen for wiki

quote:

Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player 9, 10 or 11 running on Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11 running on Windows Vista are all capable of decoding and playing HDCDs on personal computers with a 24-bit sound card installed.[6][7] Media Player 9 indicates the presence of an HDCD by flashing the logo in the control bar at the bottom of the application window. This was removed from versions 10 and 11; if an HDCD is inserted into a burner with WMP 10/11 running the HDCD logo no longer appears.

This feature must be enabled by changing a WMP speakers setting involving 24-bit audio. The path to this setting is found in the Player's Options control panel which can be accessed from the Tools menu: Tools/Options/Devices/Speakers/Properties/Performance.[8]

Due to player design, the HDCD decoding is placed within the CD read chain. Thus, HDCD decoding can only be achieved whilst directly playing back HDCD formatted disks. The MS Windows Media Player software is not currently able to decode HDCD information present from ripped images of disks.[citations needed] However, Media Player 9 is able to recognize copies of HDCDs.[9]

Windows Media Player does not decode HDCD audio streams during ripping and the decoded encoded extra HDCD information is lost. By using a WAV output recorded plugin, it is possible to grab a perfect digital copy of a decoded HDCD stream, which can then be used for encoding into other formats.[citations needed]

[edit] dBpoweramp CDGrabber
Illustrate's dBpoweramp CDGrabber has a DSP effect which allows tracks from HDCDs to be ripped to 24-bit WAV files. The files have a bit rate of 2116.8 kbps and are 1.5 times as large as 16-bit WAV files. For example, King Sunny Ade's "Jigi Jigi Isapa" (from the odú~ album) has a 16-bit WAV size of 58.5MB, while the "24-bit" WAV file is 87.8MB. While the files will be listed as 24-bit, only 20 bits per sample contain actual data.[10]

A 24-bit capable sound card is required in order to play the files. Format conversion programs can also use these files to create 24-bit lossy and lossless files. The format, of course, must support 24-bit samples.

Many software players can play these files including foobar 2000, iTunes Player (iPod players, however, cannot play the files), Windows Media Player and Winamp.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ playing in them is not the hard bit (pardon the pun); as any red book CD player will do so - there is required some additional decoding for the extra bits.

.... the main issue seems there are so few titles avaialable in ths fromat, and probably unlikley to change in the future.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/09 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
oh I see, imo there’s unlikely to be much more produced seeing that music sales are rapidly moving to an internet downloaded format these days with the success of the MP3 players and I-pods etc. Even my mobile phone has a few thousand tracks on it, stored on a ridiculously tiny Micro SD card. Do CD’s really have any future or will they just disappear like tapes, most audiophobes moaned about the quality of sound from CDs.

There always seems to be great nostalgia about outdated formats whenever new ones come along. Me I’m just bothered about how easy it is to carry

I pulled out my old Amega 500 a few weeks ago, forgot just how rubbish it was, what dreadful graphics and that disk drive makes a racket

[Edited on 3/3/09 by Mr Whippy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.