Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why are Americans so fat?
smart51

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Why are Americans so fat?

Baskin Robbins Large Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Milk Shake nutrition information:

1 serving: 36 fl oz (1.8 imperial pints)

2600 kcal
135g fat
263g sugar

according to their data, it contains almost 3x the maximum daily intake of cholesterol, more than 2x the maximum of fat and more than a days worth of carbohydrate. It contains about 1/2 the vitamin and mineral content needed per day. Mmm Mmm Mmm, I'll have death-in-a-cup please.

paul the 6th

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
why would anyone need nearly 2 pints of that? Surely 300ml would be fine as a super doopa desert?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
just check the ingredients! It’s like some mad scientists experiment

one day America will capsize into the ocean over loaded by it population

Ingredients: chocolate oreo ice cream (cream, nonfat milk, crispy crackle fudge (fudge [powdered sugar (sugar, cornstarch), peanut oil, cocoa processed with alkali, dextrose, nonfat dry milk, cocoa, salt, soy lecithin], crispy rice [rice, sugar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, malt flavoring]), oreo cookies (sugar, enriched flour, vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean oil), cocoa (processed with alkali), high fructose corn syrup, corn flour, whey, corn starch, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin (emulsifier), vanillin, chocolate), sugar, corn syrup, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), chocolate liquor (processed with alkali), whey, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80), milk, hot fudge sauce (sugar, corn syrup, water, partially hydrogenated coconut oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa (treated with alkali), nonfat milk solids, modified food starch, salt, sodium bicarbonate, potassium sorbate as preservative, natural and artificial flavors, lecithin, propyl paraben as preservative), oreo cookie pieces (sugar, enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate {vitamin b1}, riboflavin {vitamin b2}, folic acid), palm and/or high oleic canola and/or soybean oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), high fructose corn syrup, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, soy lecithin (emulsifier), vanillin - an artificial flavor, chocolate), chocolate coating (fractionated palm kernel oil, sugar, coconut oil, cocoa powder, cocoa (processed with alkali), soy lecithin, artificial flavor, salt), whipped cream topping (cream, milk, sugar, dextrose, nonfat dry milk, artificial flavor, mono & diglycerides, carrageenan, mixed tocopherols (vitamin e), to protect flavor, propellant: nitrous oxide).

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob tatt

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
they are the laziest people in the world inoticed when i was there admitidly in orlando. there are no pavements and no way to get across the bloody road. they were driving from shops on one side of the road the other. now that combined with food like that is why they are fat lazy buggers
only my opinion of course
rob

theconrodkid

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
i think you answered your own question there mr smart!
there was a prog on telly some time ago,some health expert went down a street lined with shops,not one shop sold fresh fruit or veg,it was all fried gerbil and lard burgers,no wonder they have health problems

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Of more concern should be the rate at which we (the UK/Europe) are following them down this path.

A quick ingredient check of most food products on sale in the UK doesn't exactly make for pleasant reading. It's just we haven't upped our portion size to the same degree - yet!

I recently met an operations manager from a commercial bakery in the North East supplying baked goods to the sanwich trade. He doesn't eat his own products and indeed very little bread full stop

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob tatt
they are the laziest people in the world inoticed when i was there admitidly in orlando. there are no pavements and no way to get across the bloody road. they were driving from shops on one side of the road the other. now that combined with food like that is why they are fat lazy buggers
only my opinion of course
rob

It’s also why the compact car has not worked over there. One of my bosses once had to take a guy from the states in his car to a business lunch in his passat. No joke the car was on the bump stops on the passenger side! never seen anything like that guy, just crossing the road and it looked like he was going to have a heart attack. Unfortunately I can see people here heading the same way, most women are now overweight now. We've got a few huge ones in my work here too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldtimer

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Plenty of overweight people here. I could shed a couple of pounds myself, cheaper than carbon parts for the car or liposuction.
cd.thomson

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Unfortunately I can see people here heading the same way, most women are now overweight now. We've got a few huge ones in my work here too.

Sweeping generalisation from your consistent lechery there Whippy. I know how you feel though, I'm starting to find *any* slim girl in the gym attactive now, because that narrows the search down more than enough!

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
Unfortunately I can see people here heading the same way, most women are now overweight now. We've got a few huge ones in my work here too.

Sweeping generalisation from your consistent lechery there Whippy. I know how you feel though, I'm starting to find *any* slim girl in the gym attactive now, because that narrows the search down more than enough!

Perhaps but I feel unfortunately I'm totally correct, certainly in Aberdeen most women are quite tubby. You should see the one sitting behind me right now. There's a distinctive tilt to the floor and another a few desks away has a body consisting of several rolls when she bends over her BARE belly actually hang between her legs out her jumper, seriously! There’s only two who’d be considered ‘normal’ weight in an office of about 15 women…

[Edited on 26/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

handyandy

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
i used to work on cruise ships based in the states, & so 99% of passengers were FAT americans, & boy did they eat! they,re "club sandwich" was like something you,d put out as buffet spread, food was available 24hrs per day & as they could have as much as they wanted & not cost anything they really did eat.
i prefer slim, my mrs is moaning that she,s gone from a size 4 to size 6???

andy

wilkingj

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
About 25 years ago, a colleague went to the USA, somewhere in Texas (I think) for a training course (3 months). This chap was from the Thetford area, and was bit of a country type.
He always walked everywhere. Also he wore plus Fours and a Deerstalker hat! (No mad dog to walk at lunchtimes though)

After about a week, the local TV station heard about him walking everywhere.
They filmed him and he also made it into the local newspapers.
After that, all the locals would honk their horns and wave at him! He became a minor local celebrety.

I remember him saying it took nearly a week to discover how to cross the road safely and without getting done for jaywalking!
He also said that it appeared that no one ever walked anywhere.

Another colleague was in a hotel in New York, and the doorman hailed him a cab after he asked the doorman where the nearest papershop was. It was about 300 yards up the same road!
Evidently it was not that safe to walk even that far. Too many dark alleyways off the street, and it was getting dark.

Its not just the USA, people drive to the shop in out village!

Have you seen the size of a USA Big Mac compared to a UK one? Well most things are like that. Thats why they have a weight problem. Its not a lot different over here in the UK. There is a growing trend of Obesity. As usual the UK is about 20 years behind of the USA.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
A previous boss of mine used to order children's portions in US restaurants - and often he couldn't finish those...

[Edited on 26/1/09 by David Jenkins]

Fozzie

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:

Sadly its not just women........guys are getting pretty 'lardy' here too! Pot/beer bellies are just so unattractive!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
There are a those in this office that actually get in their cars, join the queue of traffic and drive to Tesco to get their lunch! They then spend ages trying to park as close to the front door as possible, you can see from this map just how close they are and it takes me about 2 minutes to walk there, yet they’d actually drive further than risk the walk…unbelievable laziness

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 26/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

oldtimer

posted on 26/1/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
The sun will be rising soon over the Eastern USA...............
David Jenkins

posted on 26/1/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
'Fat Americans' is a generalisation - I've met quite a few slim ones, even skinny. However, when you watch some American DIY shows the majority of the adult males seem to have beer pots... not that I can criticise.

My son's comment when he went to Philadelphia was how big many Americans are - not fat, just BIG - tall, broad-shouldered, etc. And he's 6'2" so he's not exactly short!

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
'Fat Americans' is a generalisation - I've met quite a few slim ones, even skinny. However, when you watch some American DIY shows the majority of the adult males seem to have beer pots... not that I can criticise.

My son's comment when he went to Philadelphia was how big many Americans are - not fat, just BIG - tall, broad-shouldered, etc. And he's 6'2" so he's not exactly short!

Go to Florida, it’s a reeeeeeeaaaal eye opener, even the police are staggering around like beached whales. What you see on TV (Friends etc) and films are not the average Americans, they may be taller but they weigh the same as a cake addicted hippopotamus

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think "fat americans" is such an unfair generalisation.

Havin lived there for nearly 2 years I have to say they do have an obesity problem but we are catching them up quick. Still the obese people are still in minority. ie you would 10 or 15 regular people to 1 obese person, how is that any different to here?

There are places where you can go and get dustbin lid pizzas but i think when you take the nation as a whole they are the exception rather than the norm.

List of things which I did find out about America when I was there.

1. Correct no-one walks ANYWHERE, my mother who used to walk around town was refered to as the "Walking Woman" before people knew who she was.

2. They show a blatant disregard for trafic laws while trying to park closer to cinema/mall/restaurant door even in an empty parking lot. ie people cars lining the pathways right next to the doors when the car park is completely empty.

3. Some americans have a blind ignorance when it comes to foreigners, or anything out side the US come to that.

4. They have such so many good places to get a meal. They knock spots off us for that. Over there I lived in a town with 8000 people in there were at least 20 GOOD places to eat.

5. You are saying "fat americans" but don't forget who's usually top or second of the medals tables in the olympics. Their Collegiate sports network is amazing.

6. Thereis no size difference between a US and UK big mac at least in Oklahoma and Texas

7. The people in Oklahoma are some of the most genuine and friendly I have ever met and I am proud to call then my friends.

EDIT

I will add that I am sure there are geographical variations the folks in Oklahoma were certainly not overly big

[Edited on 26/1/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

JoelP

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
must say i never noticed them being particularly fat when i was over there. I think its more a media generalisation.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
That Baskin Robins shake is infamous over there I remember reports in the papers and on the news. Even campaigners outside Baskin Robins iirc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

David Jenkins

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I do have one memory from yonks ago, when I was walking in the street behind Regent Street in London...

"Gee Elmer! It's the London Palladium!!!" in a bellowing female voice... I turned around to see a 'vision' in a pink trouser suit - like a pink barrage balloon - shouting back to a harrased little man following her at some distance. He had the stereotypical check trousers, loud jacket, etc.

It they'd put that scene into a film there would have been an outcry from America, with people complaining that Americans really aren't like that!

On the opposite side, one of my neighbours is a different stereotype - he's a Texan, 6' tall and slim, who looks (and sounds) like he's just got out of the saddle... he turned up in the local pub one day with his cowboy hat on, and got so much leg-pulling that it was never seen again...

JoelP

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
my pal as a lad used to like wearing cowboy boots and the occational hat - he now lives in texas, happily married! The stork obviously dropped him on the wrong continent!
stevec

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
There are people from the American colonies who use this site, They will be along to defend soon. I think it is a little unfair to generalise. I reckon as said, there is a ever increasing number of bloaters in this country now. Me included

Steve

[Edited on 26/1/09 by stevec]

MikeRJ

posted on 26/1/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
1. Correct no-one walks ANYWHERE, my mother who used to walk around town was refered to as the "Walking Woman" before people knew who she was.

I had a similar experience when SWMBO and I stayed with friends in New Jersey. They were running a little low on food, so as it was a lovely day we volunteered to walk to the local store (about a mile away, if that) to do a bit of shopping and were met with looks of total disbelief and offers of cars to drive!

We found out why as well...there are hardly any pavements (sorry, sidewalks) so we had to walk on grass verges etc. most of the way.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.