Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why isn't personal satisfaction and passion also a good enough reason...
AndyGT

posted on 6/11/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
why isn't personal satisfaction and passion also a good enough reason...

Reading the following website:

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/classic-vehicles.html

And find it appauling that as car fanatics we have to justify our cause as being financially viable and have to remind the beareaucrats of "the huge financial contribution of Classic vehicles".

I wonder sometimes if these people actually know how to have fun or is it that their idea of fun the same as Max mosley's...

Rant over!!

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its amazing how few classic car are on the road up where I am, I’ve seen 2 beetles and a couple of Triumphs over about most of the year and that’s it. Incredible really how new the cars are on the roads and the condition of cars dumped in the scrap yards, few have any rust at all and I can hardly believe they are about to be crushed. Disgusting waste really and to think how long cars are made to work in country’s like India etc Such a wasteful throw away society we are and nothing seems to be expected to kept for any real length of time. Wonder how many thousands (sorry its millions apparently) of tons of computers are dumped considering they become ‘old’ in a few years…

where dead computer go linky

[Edited on 6/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 26/1/09 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
If I could afford to retire I'd do up old cars for the fun of it...

Imagine having to declare in advance where you're going? This wednesday, about half 8, I'll be pulling onto the road to let my missus get her car out. Or is that kind of EUBS not necessary?

02GF74

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Its amazing how few classic car are on the road up where I am.

Incredible really how new the cars are on the roads and the condition of cars dumped in the scrap yards, few have any rust at all and I can hardly believe they are about to be crushed.

Disgusting waste really

Not just where you are, down he in the tropical south the sitautoin is the same.

My newest car is a 1994 volvo and still going strong, no rust etc. so does not make sense to scrap it.

I look atound me, driving into work or on motroway and the number of cars less than 5 years old has to be more than half of all the cars I see.

I have not seen a car with tatty & rusty bodywork for years, guess nowadys it is not the body that goes but something else that meks the car not economical for repair.

It is madness.

iank

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I have not seen a car with tatty & rusty bodywork for years, guess nowadys it is not the body that goes but something else that meks the car not economical for repair.

It is madness.

Usually a timing belt (especially on cars that are designed to make it an engine out job), something else equally inaccessable, or electrical (or more strictly electronic) gremlins.

Things, quite deliberately'lifed' by the manufacturers to be beyond any warrantee periods. But to be required to keep the car on the road beyond 5 years - which was when the bodies started going in previous times.

They've also taken to starting to integrate components to make cheap fixing impossible. Both Vaux and Ford now require replacement of the whole front upright when a wheel bearing goes for example.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yip I've come across this too, plus the use of sealed for life bearing, joints and even gearboxes are simply meant to prevent future maintenance by owners. Obviously quite deliberate by the manufactures.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

adithorp

posted on 26/1/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think thats a case of lets miss-interpret the rules to make up a story.

My brother lives in Munich and has 3 classics. series3 LandRover, Jag'420G, and XJS V12. There are several choices of classic registration ranging from a normal reg, a classic reg' with limited milage, to a show reg', which allows you only to drive to and from shows and take part in non competitive rallies. For the last one you have to let them know when and where your going on the road. The costs fall depanding on the amount of restriction.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RK

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the car makers are up to no good. No fun allowed, unless it's them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.