Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: smoking at work
welderman

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
smoking at work

Dont want to open a can of worms, but i want to put together a memo to the workers about smoking at allocated times etc, do any of you out there have something similar at your place fo work.
Wording has to be correct for legal purpose.
Thanks, a fcuked off boss who does not smoke.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
'All employees who smoke outside the allocated times will be SACKED!!

By order of the management'

Yeah that'll do it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 27/6/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's pissing ne off as well.
Say 10 fags a day at 5 mins a fag is 50 mins. lets call it 1hr for easyness, So 1hr a day 5 days a week 4 weeks a month 11 months per year.

10X5X5X4X11=11000mins/60=183hrs/8hr day=23 days near as dammit.
So non smokers should get AT LEAST 2 weeks paid holidays per year EXTRA compared to smokers AAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH
But will we get it will we fook.
ETA that some places make you take your tea break as a smoke break but it doesn't really work IMHO

[Edited on 27/6/08 by omega 24 v6]

[Edited on 27/6/08 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

donut

posted on 27/6/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
We have fag breaks...... and we don't smoke!! We just sit outside for 5 mins!!

I'll see if there is anything about it at work as i'm sure the police have some polocy about it!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/6/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
both my boys have stopped, so im ok now. However, we dont take breaks anyway!

You just need to insist that cigs are only smoked in allocated breaks.

BUT, you also need to decide whether or not it is important enough to risk disharmony in the work place? There are things i dont bring up, such as both of them getting paid from the moment they leave their houses, that i just take into account with their hourly rates.

Ie, you need to weigh up the whole package.

Marcus

posted on 27/6/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Our company doesn't allow smoking on the premesis at all, you may leave the site on unpaid breaks only (30 min lunch) and you must clock out. Failure to do this results in gross misconduct and probable dismissal, If you get fag breaks, you're lucky..BTW I don't smoke so the company policy suits me..

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

t.j.

posted on 28/6/08 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
There's always a "but"

I think drinking Coffee most also be forbidden, people must work all day, chained to the machinery etc.
Where is the end off limitation?

I think if smokers go for a smoke not on hectic moments and go together I have not so many problems with it.
On unofficial moments, like smoking-moments, the best idea's come together.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/6/08 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
We have a blanket 'no smoking within the perimeter of the premesis'

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

smart51

posted on 28/6/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
I think drinking Coffee most also be forbidden, people must work all day, chained to the machinery etc.
Where is the end off limitation?

Most people can drink coffee at their workplace without stopping work. Those who can't because their workplace is clean or dangerous should get a short break other than lunchtime to drink or answer the call of nature. Those who can drink at their workplace don't get the breaks. This has been the rule wherever I've worked.

There has been a generally accepted exception where smokers who don't get mid morning and afternoon brakes work later to make up the time spent outside.

My employer is considering banning smoking on site all together after a fire in the outside litter bin. As far as I know, you have no right to smoke in law. An employer is quite entitled to limit your freedom to smoke if there is good reason. If you are currently allowed to take 5 minutes off work every hour, think yourself lucky.

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/6/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you are currently allowed to take 5 minutes off work every hour, think yourself lucky.

But what about the rest of us???

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RoadkillUK

posted on 28/6/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Last place I worked at didn't give a toss about smokers. I started work at 6am finished at 2:15pm ... No breaks. Gasping for a smoke by 2:15.

P.S. I was sacked for having a smoke at 7am miserable lot.

[Edited on 28/6/08 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

johnston

posted on 29/6/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
my new work is no smoking on premises and only allowed smoke breakat allocated times(or so notice board says) dunno what these are as i dont smoke but have only seen people go at lunch ,t-breaks and the snea ones in top workshop when managers are having one if their meetings...

old place kept pulling the only fella in workshop that smoked but he did rip the arse out of it, he would go out 1st thing in morning before he started anything but after starting time or would come in from smoke look at job in hand think a bit then go back out!!!!

Hellfire

posted on 1/7/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
Last place I worked at didn't give a toss about smokers. I started work at 6am finished at 2:15pm ... No breaks. Gasping for a smoke by 2:15.

P.S. I was sacked for having a smoke at 7am miserable lot.

[Edited on 28/6/08 by RoadkillUK]

That is actually breaking UK and Eu LAW regarding work/rest limits. Any Union Representative would have a field day with that one....

Have a look HERE

Steve

[Edited on 1-7-08 by Hellfire]

RoadkillUK

posted on 2/7/08 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but none of that matters if you don't have 12 months behind you.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.