Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good film recommendations for the weekend...
Jasper

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good film recommendations for the weekend...

We've watched some good films lately, thought I'd share 'em and maybe you can recommend some more:

Bruno : Probably the funniest film I have ever seen, we started laughing at the opening credits and didn't stop till it was all over, my face ached afterwards we laughed so hard.

Mary & Max : Stop motion animation for grown-ups. One of the best animations I've ever seen. Totally original, beautifully crafted and with a story line and script to match. A true gem of a film.

Up : really as good as everyone says it is, thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Nest: Excellent gritty French action movie, loads of great shoot outs

Lesbian Vampire Killers, and Doghouse: both entertaining late nite after the pub kind of movies

The Chaser: excellent Asian action/cop type film, similar in style to Old Boy but not quite as insane.

I Sell the Dead: odd little low budget film, very hard to categories but worth a watch, very entertaining.

Ones to avoid IMHO:

Public Enemies: TOTAL crap, rarely does Johnny do a bad movie, but this is certainly one of them.

Terminator - all effect and crap story - boring

Taking Pelham 123 - another total waste of 90mins, rubbish story full of holes and a crap script.

AntiChrist: Bloody hell, I like weird movies but this one did it for me, William Defoe having his ankles broken by his mad women .... urghhhhh rarely do we switch a film off before the end, but we didn't have the stomach for this one.

I think Hollywood are producing some of their worst films for many years at the moment, it's all teen flicks and 3D animation ....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Staple balls

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
AntiChrist: Bloody hell, I like weird movies but this one did it for me, William Defoe having his ankles broken by his mad women .... urghhhhh rarely do we switch a film off before the end, but we didn't have the stomach for this one.

I kinda enjoyed antichrist, in the Lars von Trier is a bloody nutcase way. It was the ankles that bothered you? not the bit with the plank of wood and the blood?

I agree on pelham 123, has nothing that the original did.

Jasper

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, to be honest when she hit him with the log in the groin and then did you know what - that was it at that point I think!!! Did it get any better after that?

02GF74

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bambi whilst eating a venison burger or Finding Nemo with yer fish and chips.

Benzine

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Der Untergang, C'est arrivé près de chez vous, Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo, Shichinin no samurai, Trois couleurs trilogy

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
District 9: good sci fi, the "Prawns" are done very well they are very believeable.
Staple balls

posted on 13/11/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Yes, to be honest when she hit him with the log in the groin and then did you know what - that was it at that point I think!!! Did it get any better after that?

only more wrong, involving her and a pair of scissors. all ended up just a tiny bit mental really.

02GF74

posted on 13/11/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls

only more wrong, involving her and a pair of scissors. all ended up just a tiny bit mental really.

did it end up like this?

Jasper

posted on 13/11/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
A tiny bit mental???? Sounds like completely bloody mental to me. Glad I missed the rest then ....

A couple of mental films I have enjoyed recently are Tromeo and Juliet, Funky Forest and Blood Diner. Funky Forest is especially good .... though being two sheets to the wind when you see it would be an advantage....

Jasper

posted on 13/11/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
District 9: good sci fi, the "Prawns" are done very well they are very believeable.

Does look good, I'll have a watch of that ....

Ninehigh

posted on 14/11/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Any good horror films that aren't all about the blood? Last one of this kind I watched was one of them Final Destination ones, pmsl!

scootz

posted on 14/11/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I just didn't get 'Bruno'... there wasn't a clear enough line between the acting and the 'candid' parts, so I was left with the impression that it could all have been scripted. If this was the case, then it wasn't funny at all.

Best film of the year for me (so far!) was The Hangover... an American Pie for grown-ups!

It's Evolution Baby!

Jasper

posted on 18/11/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Any good horror films that aren't all about the blood? Last one of this kind I watched was one of them Final Destination ones, pmsl!

Try a Norwegian vampire film called 'Let the Right One in' ...

LOVED Dirstrict 9 btw - best sci-fi films for AGES

Know what you mean about Bruno - I just treated it as a normal film rather than the Borat style film and still found it very funny .

Jasper

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
More good movies seen this week:

Moon - SUPERB low-key SciFi, excellent story line

Inglorious Basterds - Just as good as I hoped it would be.

The Haunted World of El Superbesto - another superb and funny animation, from Rob Zombie.

cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I really enjoyed moon too.

Has anyone recommended paranormal activity yet? It was really good IMHO, best scary film I've seen in a while!

I saw bunny and the bull on friday too, thats good if you like surrealism.

Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.