Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a blast ...
02GF74

posted on 12/9/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
a blast ...

.... from the past. Looking for getting these on the old gramaphonium. Probably not heard this stuff for a number of years more than the age of some of the posters on here!!! eeek!

ooh, the pinchushioning is quite bad, innit?

[Edited on 12/9/09 by 02GF74] Rescued attachment DSC05146.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC05146.JPG

02GF74

posted on 15/9/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
oh no disaster .... managed to put a whomping scratch in the Girls at out Best CD by whacking it against the CD player metal draw

'spose it could have been worse, that CD was being sold for £ 250 on amazon last year fortunately it has been re-released so at worse it is only £ 7.

still effing annoying gggrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Liam

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Kinda makes me feel old, you posting a pic of shiny plastic CD cases and calling it a blast from the past . On first glance I assumed you must have found some dusty old vinyl.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Kinda makes me feel old, you posting a pic of shiny plastic CD cases and calling it a blast from the past . On first glance I assumed you must have found some dusty old vinyl.

....... aahhhh vinyl thats when you new you had your moneys worth i used to sit there with my big headphones on listening to Thin Lizzy and reading the record sleeve .... happy days

Liam

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

....... aahhhh vinyl thats when you new you had your moneys worth i used to sit there with my big headphones on listening to Thin Lizzy and reading the record sleeve .... happy days

I'm not that old though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/9/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a big pile of records and a silver and wood hifi from the 80's...wonder if it still works loads of ABBA songs in there I think. Can't even rememeber the last time I played a tape and my i-pod seems an old model now

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

flak monkey

posted on 15/9/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I still buy loads of vinyl

So much 'better' than CDs, but thats a whole other discussion!

That said some recordings on cd are getting quite good (Dark Clouds and Silver Linings for instance) if they havent been over compressed. Sadly people seem more and more happy to listen to poor quality 128kB/s tracks and its not doing music production any good at all.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jasper

posted on 15/9/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I still buy loads of vinyl

So much 'better' than CDs, but thats a whole other discussion!

That said some recordings on cd are getting quite good (Dark Clouds and Silver Linings for instance) if they havent been over compressed. Sadly people seem more and more happy to listen to poor quality 128kB/s tracks and its not doing music production any good at all.

Interesting you say that - did you see the test they did on the Gadget Show? Back to back blind test on top end audio gear in a theatre with vinyl/CD/MP3.

They all expected vinyl to be best, followed by CD and MP3, and to all there shock it was the other way round, MP3 came out top. They couldn't explain it, it's just the way it was.

But I'm sure that will make absolutely no difference to the audiophiles who will always insist vinyl is best!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

02GF74

posted on 15/9/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

Interesting you say that - did you see the test they did on the Gadget Show? Back to back blind test on top end audio gear in a theatre with vinyl/CD/MP3.

They all expected vinyl to be best, followed by CD and MP3, and to all there shock it was the other way round, MP3 came out top. They couldn't explain it, it's just the way it was.

fascinating.

you have a link to that? do you know what bit rate (compression) they were using for the MP3?

Jasper

posted on 15/9/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
You'll have to check their web site, they did use high bit rate though....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
They must have been using 320 or 256k. For music I NEVER go below 256 otherwise I can hear it wobbling (it's the only way I can describe it!)

If they used 96 or 64k, well I'd prefer bakelite

RK

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
I saw Thin Lizzy in Vancouver during the 70's when they backed up Queen. Phil Lynnot's driver nearly ran into us as he was speeding out of the parking lot afterwards. My cousin always wished he had've hit us. It was his car, so we didn't care at the time.

ps I've got loads of vinyl, but I'm too lazy to play it. Now I stream from my laptop onto an Apple Airport hooked up to the living room stereo and use the remote to turn it up and down... Unless it's Miles Davis I find it sounds fine.

[Edited on 16/9/09 by RK]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.