Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on whistleblowing...
Ninehigh

posted on 2/7/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on whistleblowing...

Currently working as a Security officer in one of the most security-lax places I've ever been to, seriously believe I could walk in there on my day off and drive out with a wagon full of stock.

Anyway the thing is this:

It's not a hard job, barriers have to be kept closed, sign people in and out, do a quick search of some of the wagons and wander round the place ever couple of hours.

Lazy cow that I'm constantly lumbered with doesn't do any of this. I've seen her do 6 patrols in 8 months (we're required to do 6 a night) and I'm beginning to think the close button on the barriers will melt her fingers.

Worse bit is she's signing that she's doing this, along with some stuff I'm not doing either (she's making up patrol times, even mine, plus these wagon searches she's put down that I've done one that was 30 miles away in Wigan at the time)

My worry is that one day I'm going to be getting into trouble for all this and not her, so I've been thinking about putting in an anonymous complaint. It would have to be anonymous on the basis that I know the name of the last person to put a complaint in about her.

So really two questions, should I put this complaint in, and is signing paperwork that she (and I) have done things we haven't fraud (and therefore not just a sackable offence but a prison-able one)?

Steve G

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd put it down in writing and personally say go see a manager about it. Its not fraud in a legal sense I wouldnt think - but there could be legal implications if you work in a bonded store environment (so liable under Customs and Excise rules) but she could be sacked for professional misconduct for falsifying records.

Problem is if you say nothing, i'm sure she'll quite happily drag you down with her if she gets collared by der management. Or you could be called alsorts for blowing the whistle on her. Personally i'd take my chances by speaking to management - especially as she's implicating you in her falsifying records.

smart51

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not speak to the woman in question about it? At least you can say you tried before going to management. Can you not tell her not to falsify records on your behalf? I'd make sure you were doing a really good job yourself before inviting scrutiny.

Do you want to keep your job?

I'd agree, don't let her drag you down to her level. The longer you spend down there, the worse it is for you.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/7/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Can you not speak to the woman in question about it? At least you can say you tried before going to management.

Do you want to keep your job?

I'd agree, don't let her drag you down to her level. The longer you spend down there, the worse it is for you.

Well I gave up speaking to her in about October when I realised no-one can ever work to her "high" standards.. And if management were doing their job properly they would have spotted this months ago, in fact they did under previous management and got several arse kickings for it.

Never thought of putting it in writing though, would make it harder to remain completely anonymous if I have to give a return adress..

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/7/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would just shop the bitch.
She is putting your current and future employment in jeopardy and obviously doesn't give a toss about you ,or her own job, or even the company that pays her wages.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

fesycresy

posted on 2/7/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that all security did that

She's obviously a pig and you have no chance, so agreed with the above, shop the bitch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Steve G

posted on 2/7/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Why bother remaining completely anonymous (or trying to - it will be obvious its you if its just you who works with her and are getting work signed off by her as done when it isnt) as management wont do anything about an anonymous report in most instances. I know I wouldnt anyway - in fact as a manager, if a staff member couldnt report something in their own name to me then I would feel very suspicious as to the motives of the report.

If management know what she's like then you never know - they might just be waiting on the amunition to enable them to fire her sorry ass without the threat of an unfair dismissal claim against them afterwards. I'd say put what she's done down in writing as this enables you to take your time and really put down whats really happening - rather than potentially a middle manager twisting what you say. It also makes it official and protects your own back if you have a copy of it if needed. I know personally i'd always take a written complaint a lot more seriously - even if i shouldnt.

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/7/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
She's in a position of trust from her company.

She ain't trustworthy
she's tainting your reputation ( and you know it)
The longer you leave it the less you'll be believed.
Your livelyhood is at stake

HOW MANY MORE REASONS DO YOU NEED??

Get her sorted out. NOW

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

JoelP

posted on 2/7/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Id do it in writing too so you have more chance to compose it properly without incriminating yourself (ie admitting you knew she was falsifying records).

I really dislike slackers.

martyn_16v

posted on 2/7/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a biggish company, or more to the point do they have an HR dept/person? If you have, HR people just love making up policies for absolutely anything, and if you don't already have a whistleblowing policy they'd probably quite happily write one. A quick word with HR might be a good start before you go to your line manager.

dmac

posted on 2/7/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are you in a union? if not join one for the support they will be able to give you if it turns sour.

Duncan

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 2/7/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I always had it hammered in that you should NEVER sign for something you didn't do, or didn't oversee. Different situation but I'd still shop her, either anonymously or otherwise.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/7/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be calling them tomorrow and asking for a head office address, not going to my line manager cos he's just as bad really with this going unchecked for 8 months..

Still the anonymous problem though... I feel that if I give my name out she'll know, even though I'm not the only one she works with. If she doesn't get sacked on this I can seriously expect them putting us together, as my position there is pretty much cover for sickness and holidays. However if I don't give my name it could so easily be ignored as they can't get back to me... That's the quandry now!

Macbeast

posted on 2/7/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
There's no way you can stay anonymous - she'll know.

Wite down your complaint and tell her you're putting it in since you have already asked her not to falsify your work.

RK

posted on 3/7/09 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
You will be asked why you didn't do anything when she is eventually discovered. You will then be dragged down with her like a screaming Titanic passenger. I'd do it and look for another job at the same time.
Ninehigh

posted on 3/7/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
You will be asked why you didn't do anything when she is eventually discovered. You will then be dragged down with her like a screaming Titanic passenger. I'd do it and look for another job at the same time.

Lol why the F should I do anything when anyone can just walk in and out, half the cameras don't work along with half the barriers!

Mind you most of these other jobs are paying more...

iank

posted on 3/7/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
The real problem will come when someone does drive off with a lorry full of stock. At that point the police/insurance company get involved and management start looking for scapegoats/video evidence.
At that point I'd expect she'll start trying to load the blame onto you.

You need to do something.

First thing I'd do is report the malfunctioning cameras to someone - make sure it's in writing/email (if you have a work address). I suspect there's already stock walking out of the door. If the camera's get fixed she's under pressure to actually start patrolling as there's evidence being generated of the slacking. If they don't you've got some teflon if it does all go pear shaped.

Then start correcting your entries in the log if it's still getting filled in for you incorrectly. Don't fiddle with her entries as that's a step too far.

Often the only thing you can do is walk into another job as soon as you can. Better than getting sacked for whistleblowing or gross professional misconduct.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 3/7/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
The malfunctioning cameras have been reported over 100 times to our own head office and to the company management, plus one of the cameras that does work faces right to our office door, anyone going in or out (along with anyone walking the perimiter in that area) is caught, so the fact that she can get away with this drags our supervisor in too..

As for correcting any entries all I can really do in that respect is keep my own record separately, I'm clean of that anyway as she demands to do all the paperwork, being the senior guard and all that, so I could have just noticed this last week

I'm gonna be looking through the jobcentre website too, you can't build a house with a broken saw and bent nails, and you can't keep a place secure with no cameras and broken gates

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.