Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: woodworkers: how to make a simple/cheap (locost?) dresser?
C10CoryM

posted on 28/12/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
woodworkers: how to make a simple/cheap (locost?) dresser?

Hey guys,

I live in a small suite and am getting sick of tripping over my stuff. I have a reasonable sized closet that needs to be used more efficiently so I figure I will turn part of it into a dresser.

I am wondering if someone can give me some advice on a simple and effective design.

External dimensions are:

34.5" wide 87.6cm
26" deep 66cm
60" high 152.4cm

For drawers I am thinking:
top 3x 10" tall 25.4cm
bottom 2x 14" tall 35.6cm

Material will be pine plywood (I think that's cheapest here). Suggested thickness?
What do I do for edging to hide the plywood edges?

I'm sure I can bang something together, but I'm sure with some advice I will do a better job of it

Thanks.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
You might find a few ideas here.

C10CoryM

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 31/12/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have Ikea in Canada?

They have some good stuff and some of it's really easy to copy

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

C10CoryM

posted on 31/12/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Do you have Ikea in Canada?

No. Swedish furniture is illegal here in Canada.

Kidding of course. I think my couch may have come from there actually. I've had a look at their site and a few other dressers. I think I have it sorted out.
Cheers.

rusty nuts

posted on 31/12/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Why plywood > I thought there was loads of trees in Canada? . Have you thought about those little clips that fit onto coat hangers allowing other coat hangers to hang in the same space? Great little space saving devices. Also the fabric shoe hangers that fit onto the rails in the wardrobe or closet as you call them?
C10CoryM

posted on 1/1/09 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Why plywood > I thought there was loads of trees in Canada? . Have you thought about those little clips that fit onto coat hangers allowing other coat hangers to hang in the same space? Great little space saving devices. Also the fabric shoe hangers that fit onto the rails in the wardrobe or closet as you call them?

Yes, lots of trees here although the pine beetles are sure wasting them. Plywood is still cheaper and I don't really want to spend more money on it than required. Less to spend on the car

I have enough room for hanging clothes. It's more to get my unfolded work clothes and linens tucked away.

Wardrobes here are free standing cabinets. This is a closet in the wall.

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.