Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dulux Paint Pod
mistergrumpy

posted on 15/12/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Dulux Paint Pod

Anyone have any experiences with one of these? Do they work well?

[img][/img]

mr henderson

posted on 15/12/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Anyone have any experiences with one of these? Do they work well?

Image deleted by owner

I used to use a lot of Dulux paint, back when I did painted kitchens, and was very interested in this device.

Unfortunately it seems the paint is a good deal more expensive, and according to a long thread I read about it (probably on Pistonheads, not sure) it's just not very good.

John

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/12/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
The paint looked a little bit dearer but I hate painting and all the mess that comes with it but most is the problem I have with holding brushes. They crease my hand quickly until it becomes severely cramped. My mam and dad have joint problems so I think I may have a bit of that so the extra cost would be worth it.
If the quality is compromised though, that would be an issue. I suspect the paint is thinned out more but I'm not willing to do the job time and again.

MikeR

posted on 16/12/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mate uses his car compressor and spray gun in the house. Takes something like twice as long to prep the room and a tenth of the time to paint it + he says he always gets a good finish.

Not sure how much he waters down the paint but i'm sure he said he does a few coats but its so easy it doesn't bother him.

carpmart

posted on 16/12/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Mate uses his car compressor and spray gun in the house. Takes something like twice as long to prep the room and a tenth of the time to paint it + he says he always gets a good finish.

Not sure how much he waters down the paint but i'm sure he said he does a few coats but its so easy it doesn't bother him.

I like that as an idea!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

I had considered this too as I had a whole house to paint. Instead I used child labour (my sisters kids) and gave them £30 per room

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 16/12/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Knowing how much pro painting kit costs im very sceptical that a device like that can be any good. Especially when the paint costs so much more. I prefer to get paint from trade places and brush it on.

I had a decorator in earlier in the year and he was saying a lot of diy sheds have to have the paint mixed for a long shelf life which compromises the quality. Since trying the trade mixed stuff (fresh) i wont go back to buying from diy sheds.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/12/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was watching an episode of 'This Old House' on Sky yonks ago - one of the painters there was using a HVLP spray gun to do all the walls. he was doing the whole house though, so that may have made it economical.

Peteff

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've read that it's just ordinary paint and it's expensive containers that are specific to the apparatus and you can save them and use them with paint from ordinary tins thinned down. It never gets any rave reviews though with complaints about the poor quality roller and uneven paint distribution. Trade paint has more pigment than DIY shop emulsion, it just means they can spread it out further by thinning it down.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Liam

posted on 16/12/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd stick with normal rollers or pads. That gimmick looks like a recipe for disaster.

liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I hate decorating with a passion. Any other DIY is OK, even jobs of biblical proportions.
I have been considering masking everything, putting the paint in a plastic bag with a large theatrical maroon (bloody big banger) in it and voila......
Opinion anybody?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Liam

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
I hate decorating with a passion. Any other DIY is OK, even jobs of biblical proportions.
I have been considering masking everything, putting the paint in a plastic bag with a large theatrical maroon (bloody big banger) in it and voila......
Opinion anybody?

Seen that done on that old Rowan Atkinson lifestyle show. What was it called - bean something?

Liam

iank

posted on 16/12/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
The guy on the Home Show (linky) masks up all the rooms and sprays them white to show how the spaces look without distractions.

Looks like he uses a regular automotive style gun and compressor.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/12/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with spraying would be that fine mist that floats around and settles on stuff. I'd have to paint around the furniture, the house is so small it'll not go anywhere else.

MikeR

posted on 19/12/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
as i said, he takes twice as long setting up. Got to move everything out, mask the skirting and put down plastic sheets. Once done ..... its pretty quick.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.