Board logo

Land Search/Buying
coozer - 30/9/08 at 09:56 PM

I want to enquire about a piece of land directly to the rear of my gaff. It once belonged to the builder who went bust (60's) and has since been maintained by the council.

I've scoured the council and land registry sites but being thick at this kind of thing have come up a blank....

Anyone point me in the right direction for inquiry to buy some of this land and finding out who owns it now? I think it still belongs to the builders daughter, although title might have past to the bank when the builder went bust.

Steve

02GF74 - 1/10/08 at 01:32 PM

I suggest you move your back fence a couple of feet each year until someone complains.

Mr Whippy - 1/10/08 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I suggest you move your back fence a couple of feet each year until someone complains.

exactly

DarrenW - 1/10/08 at 09:40 PM

I did that once. Oh boy did i regret it. I was one of a few neighbours, all mature business type people. We did our research. Turned out the estate builder left a greenbelt strip 30 yrs ago when houses were first built. We tried to claim it. Didnt realise that the guy at the back in large house had already claimed it and had several land surveys conducted to prove ownership.

We decided not to fight, turns out the guy was retired high court judge, and so was his son who officially owned the land. They won.

If the land is owned then you cant just claim it - or at least that is my understanding. We fell foul as we didnt find ownership via land registry, but this was because registry only came into force after he claimed it. I seem to recall you have to prove it isnt owned first. If you do claim it and someone comes along and proves ownership then you have to get off. Worth checking it all out but as you say there doesnt seem to be clear guidelines on such matters.

Amusingly, a guy in a newer house close by tried to claim a small strip that was adjacent to a field. Fence was erected. Farmer promptly demolished it since as it was on his land and he didnt require such fine carpentry.

David Jenkins - 2/10/08 at 12:13 PM

Just don't do what a rich pillock in my village keeps doing... he starts a dispute with a neighbour, moves his fences etc., then gets taken to court - and ends up losing (a) the court case, (b) costs and (c) a strip of the land he used to own 'cos the surveyor has re-checked the land borders and found them wrong.

iank - 2/10/08 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scoobylav
Good luck with this one, I have the same situation. The council say the builder owns it the builder says the council own it ?!?!?!? I think I am just going to have it myself.

If that's the case I'd get it in writing from the council and then go to the builder and offer him some 'free' money for signing it over to you.