Board logo

Dur!
David Jenkins - 26/9/08 at 08:36 AM

Got a new pair of Sony headphones from Amazon this morning. In the English bit of the text at the back it showed the features, then the specification, then the 'How to Use' bit...

"Wear the headphone marked (R) on your right ear, and the one marked (L) on your left ear"

And there's a diagram!

mistergrumpy - 26/9/08 at 09:29 AM

Ah but I've bought bags of peanuts in the pub that have the warning on back "may contain nuts" !!!

iank - 26/9/08 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Ah but I've bought bags of peanuts in the pub that have the warning on back "may contain nuts" !!!

Peanuts aren't nuts (strictly speaking) as they grow on a small bush not a tree. They are actually a member of the pea family.

There are a tiny percentage of people who are allergic to nuts but not peanuts, thus the warning.

mistergrumpy - 26/9/08 at 12:36 PM

Bah! I liked it better without the explanation. Was more funny that way.

ravingfool - 28/9/08 at 02:46 PM

In the health and safety and litigation culture that we have to survive these days I'm not taking any chances, I've had "may contain nuts" tattooed on my scrotum.

clairetoo - 28/9/08 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ravingfool
In the health and safety and litigation culture that we have to survive these days I'm not taking any chances, I've had "may contain nuts" tattooed on my scrotum.

I've got it on the back of my car

David Jenkins - 28/9/08 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

I've got it on the back of my car

What - ravingfool's scrotum?

DarrenW - 29/9/08 at 08:56 AM

A while ago when i worked for a well known power tool manufacturer, we heard that the US side had to put a warning in the instructions for a heat gun to warn people not to use as a hair dryer!

rusty nuts - 29/9/08 at 06:11 PM

I brought a new parachute from the states about 20 years ago that had a lable on it that said " Not to be used as a parachute "

David Jenkins - 29/9/08 at 06:31 PM

We bought a Russell Hobbs steam iron a couple of weeks ago - in the 'important safeguards' section it says:

"Don't iron clothing while it's being worn. You'll burn or scald the wearer (don't laugh, I've seen it done)."

That's a complete and exact quote - I have the user instructions on my desk as I type this!

I love the language used in this guide, e.g. "Don't worry if the iron smokes a bit at first, it'll stop."