Board logo

Acoustic Cannon
Slater - 18/9/08 at 09:22 AM

I had never heard of this till now. Has anybody come accros or used one?

This "acoustic cannon" or Long Range Accoustic Device has been recently fitted to a semi-sub drilling rig just offshore from Port Harcourt, Nigeria to help ward off the pirates. I spoke to the guys installing it and asked a few questions...
It is mounted on a gimble and controled by radar and an infra-red camera, there is also a normal camera and spot light fitted.
The sound range is 5 miles, they can speak through the thing to warn the baddies, then switch on the sound beam if they do not go away, this seems to be an ultra high frequency beam of sound, if you are in its path you basicly lose the will to live, eardrums bleeding and all that.
Apparantly you can also get smaller versions fitted to to top of US army HumVee's at the road blocks in Iraq and some cruise ship that pass through the suez canal/arabian gulf area have them.

Alas the guys in the control room don't seem to know how to work the system so it's useless,anyway. Hope the pirates are not reading this!

acoustic cannon on deck
acoustic cannon on deck

[img][/img]

DarrenW - 18/9/08 at 10:03 AM

Have they done any tests with it? Can you hear it if your arent in the firing line?

Looks like an interesting bit of kit - albeit worrying that one is needed at all

iank - 18/9/08 at 10:19 AM

Sounds like an LRAD

http://www.defense-update.com/products/l/LRAD.htm

But there are other types some nastier
http://www.defense-update.com/features/du-1-05/NLW-DEW.htm

[Edited on 18/9/08 by iank]

Simon - 19/9/08 at 12:21 AM

I'm sure this was mentioned on here a couple of years ago. Iirc, they were being used in the middle east quite a lot.

Basic idea, of course, comes from the book Dune

ATB

Simon

Mr Whippy - 19/9/08 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I'm sure this was mentioned on here a couple of years ago. Iirc, they were being used in the middle east quite a lot.

ATB

Simon

Which is quite amazing since according to the film it was a secret new weapon in the year 10191

iank - 19/9/08 at 08:22 AM

quote:

ATB

Simon

It comes from the David Lynch film of Dune. It's not in the book anywhere.

02GF74 - 19/9/08 at 08:33 AM

alternatively they could just play Michael Jackson on a large ghetto blaster.

Mr Whippy - 19/9/08 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

ATB

Simon

It comes from the David Lynch film of Dune. It's not in the book anywhere.

really...tisk never read them myself, film was a bit pants really and edited to the point of not making any sense, no wonder it was such a flop.

DarrenW - 19/9/08 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
alternatively they could just play Michael Jackson on a large ghetto blaster.

Interesting idea. Would be quite intertaining to see the Pirates sail up wielding guns etc then sail away happily dancing to thriller............
Wonder if they would disappear quicker if they played S-Club 7.

02GF74 - 20/9/08 at 09:48 PM

^^^ it did happen.

there was story going back probably 10 years were audience was booing michael jackson. not unexcpected I hear you say but this was in the days of his highest popularity. It turned out that the sound system was sending out inaudbilbe but otherwsie detectable noise that was distrubing the audience.

Confused but excited. - 21/9/08 at 01:22 PM

quote:

Simon

Actually acoustic weapons were first developed by the French ( Discounting Joshua at Jericho) after two techs were found dead in a lab.
It appeared that two compressors, running at slightly different speeds in the building next door, came in sync every so often and the frequency of vibration caused a standing wave in the lab at a very low frequency.
The French experimented with large concrete horns, pointing towards possible aggressors.
Anyone remember the Maginot Line?
Abandoned as unfeasable.
Modern technology has obviosly made them more efficient and portable.