Board logo

ooopps
Triton - 29/7/08 at 09:43 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5030589/megatorpedo-sinks-destroyer-in-one-hit

David Jenkins - 30/7/08 at 07:54 AM

Not really an 'oops' - it was a redundant warship!

Scary though...

[Edited on 30/7/08 by David Jenkins]

scotty g - 30/7/08 at 08:10 AM

OMG, that is one bally awsome peice of weaponry, once it broke in half the rear section just vanished under water!

Peteff - 30/7/08 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Not really an 'oops' - it was a redundant warship!

Scary though...

It was probably £2,000,000 at today's scrap prices

Triton - 30/7/08 at 10:09 AM

The world has gone potty......

Mr Whippy - 30/7/08 at 12:29 PM

Are not all warships redundant now? Against weapons like that do they have any real purpose? I doubt even an aircraft carrier could take a hit like that, subs are most powerful weapons on the planet.

David Jenkins - 30/7/08 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
subs are most powerful weapons on the planet.

Except they can be tracked by satellite and/or fixed sea-bed sonar installations, and relatively easy to knock out with a helicopter and sub-seeking underwater missiles (torpedos that can go downwards).

Mr Whippy - 30/7/08 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
subs are most powerful weapons on the planet.

Except they can be tracked by satellite and/or fixed sea-bed sonar installations, and relatively easy to knock out with a helicopter and sub-seeking underwater missiles (torpedos that can go downwards).

Their quite tricky to actually find when down deep, satellites can only detect them when near the surface. They'll always be counter measures but given they have 3/4 of the planet surface to hide, subs do go missing never to be found again it’s an awful large area to pick them out. Hide under the ice sheet and no one will find it but they can still launch around 200 nuke warheads per sub in a matter of minutes. What else comes even close to that fire power and stealth.

scotty g - 30/7/08 at 03:19 PM

quote:

What else comes even close to that fire power and stealth.

Tansformers!

Mr Whippy - 30/7/08 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
quote:

Tansformers!

ah silly me...

chrsgrain - 30/7/08 at 08:30 PM

Looks like the film was cut (a bit) and it really depends if they shut all the watertight doors and hatches.... It will still sink if you do, but hopefully a bit slower than that!

Chris

David Jenkins - 30/7/08 at 08:47 PM

I'm not so sure - the ship folded like a banana when the torpedo went off. I'd be surprised if the internal structure wasn't ripped apart at that point.

I read somewhere recently that they don't try to hit the ship any more, they just try to explode underneath it and let the pressure wave do the damage.

Simon - 2/8/08 at 06:45 PM

Good to see they're still polluting the oceans completely unnecessarily!

Impressive bang though!

ATB

Simon

martyn_16v - 3/8/08 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Some fool on that other site
We're sharing this technology with Australia?!!! That's just great.

I'd be far happier if it was just in Australian hands, they've got a better record when it comes to actually shooting the enemy instead of their friends

focijohn - 8/8/08 at 05:32 PM

quote:

Chuck Norris