Board logo

random question!
block - 27/6/08 at 07:17 PM

Here we go.
Just got a new house and the aerial has fallen off. This has been down a while but a cable from a sky dish is fed into the house. If i connect a sky dish to this without suscribing, will i recieve terrestrial TV?
Many thanks.

Marcus - 27/6/08 at 07:45 PM

No, you may get some channels, but most need a card (free from sky)

iank - 27/6/08 at 10:20 PM

The dish will work with a FreeSat box to get the free satellite channels.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

[Edited on 27/6/08 by iank]

Macbeast - 28/6/08 at 04:35 AM

Think you want to clarify the question - eg why would you want to connect a Sky dish to a Sky dish ?

By terrestrial TV do you mean BBC 1 BBC2, ITV, Ch4, 5 as transmitted analogue from your local transmitter on a hill ? Or Digital terrestrial TV as transmitted to Freeview boxes ?

MikeRJ - 30/6/08 at 06:57 PM

A second hand basic Sky box (cost pennies on eBay etc.) will get you the BBC and ITV channels but not channel 5.

For a one off price of £20 you can get a "FreeSat From Sky" card that will let you view a few other channels including channel 5. The selection is a bit poor however, (you can't even get "Dave" which you can with a Freeview box.)

http://www.sam-radford.me.uk/ftv.htm

Alternatively for £50 you can get a new FreeSat box that gives you around 80 channels including the standard terrestrial ones. This is a different service to the Sky one (it's developed by the BBC and ITV) but uses the same satellite, so you can just plug a box in and go (still no 'Dave' however )

chrsgrain - 30/6/08 at 08:26 PM

WTF is 'Dave'? Just wondered really (don't have a TV!)

Chris

iank - 30/6/08 at 09:00 PM

Dave is pretty much continuous repeats of Top Gear, Red Dwarf and QI.

I miss not having a TV (was without for 5 years), it's there mainly for playing DVD's and the missus/kids.

Mr Whippy - 1/7/08 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Dave is pretty much continuous repeats of Top Gear, Red Dwarf and QI.

I miss not having a TV (was without for 5 years), it's there mainly for playing DVD's and the missus/kids.

since I moved house I haven't even watched any tv channels, just played the x-box on it (sterio plugged in and house shaking ). The freeview box is still packed away and I'm not missing it at all