Board logo

so what happened next 2?
02GF74 - 29/4/08 at 02:22 PM

jabbahutt - 29/4/08 at 02:27 PM

probably a loud crash, just hope the handle bars didn't catch him in the sweets!!

Mr Whippy - 29/4/08 at 02:28 PM

there's someone staring at his destiny

BenB - 29/4/08 at 02:30 PM

Doh!!!!!

BenB - 29/4/08 at 02:31 PM

It's obvious what they're doing wrong!!!!!!

Trying to MIG weld outside -school boy error!!!

Mr Whippy - 29/4/08 at 02:32 PM

even looks like he's welding the fuel tank!

speedyxjs - 29/4/08 at 02:42 PM

Is he breaking a few health and saftey laws?

Dangle_kt - 29/4/08 at 02:48 PM

old but still good

trogdor - 29/4/08 at 03:12 PM

is amazing what people get up with cars in other countries.

When i went to kenya for example, it was such an amazing place but the petrol stations were something else!

Those signs that are with don't run engine smoke etc? well at a shell garage we stopped at we were playing football on the forecourt, while there was a tractor being filled up while it was still running, worse still the guy next to him was filling up while smoking!

needless to say we moved on sharpish! not far down the road we saw a truck nearly hit a train, was amazing how he got over the crossing with out getting hit!

crazy but an amazing country. My housemate's mum re married a kenyan man and he got to go to kenya for christmas very jealous!

turbodisplay - 29/4/08 at 03:27 PM

There is not enough energy in a cigarrette to ignite fuel vapour, i have heard of story of a cigarette falling into a half full fuel can, nothing happened.
Not that I would ever test it though!
Darren

rusty nuts - 29/4/08 at 05:52 PM

I've seen a fag thrown into a bucket of petrol !

Schrodinger - 29/4/08 at 06:23 PM

they tried that on Myth Busters along with mobile phones. Petrol does not ignite very easily it's petrol vapour that burns rather rapidly but does need a spark.

AlphaX - 29/4/08 at 07:29 PM

and the spark can come from the static electricity that you generate when sitting in the car. you should always touch something metal before filling up petrol.

David Jenkins - 29/4/08 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Petrol does not ignite very easily it's petrol vapour that burns rather rapidly but does need a spark.

So we have a petrol container in Kenya, where it's really hot - I reckon there will be a fair bit of vapour around!

rusty nuts - 29/4/08 at 07:54 PM

Guy I know was draining the fuel tank on a Maxi a few years ago , the car was up on a 4 poster lift in his workshop , his compressor which was also in the workshop started up and ignited the fumes. He was lucky to get out with a few burns but the workshop burnt to the ground.

jollygreengiant - 29/4/08 at 09:15 PM

Mobile phones are a no, no in petrol stations not so much from using them but more because the muppets that do use phones are more than likely to drop them, then the battery might fall out and the battery 'could' short out and spark when IT hits the ground or a metal object.

Smoking in a petrol station is a no, no because the item used to light a cigarette DOES generate enough energy to ignite pertol/vapour. The cigarette when alight does not.

steve m - 30/4/08 at 04:18 AM

"Petrol does not ignite very easily it's petrol vapour that burns rather rapidly but does need a spark. "

So in theory you could hava large tank of fuel in the boot, but only pump the fumes to the engine
and the fuel would still be in the tank ??

im very confused

Mr Whippy - 30/4/08 at 07:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"Petrol does not ignite very easily it's petrol vapour that burns rather rapidly but does need a spark. "

So in theory you could have large tank of fuel in the boot, but only pump the fumes to the engine

im very confused

I think you'd have to be boiling the petrol in a similar manner to a steam train to produce sufficient vapour to run an engine, whole thing sounds a tad risky!

Paul TigerB6 - 30/4/08 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m

So in theory you could hava large tank of fuel in the boot, but only pump the fumes to the engine

im very confused

haha - clearly you are!! . Your carbs / injectors atomise the fuel so it will burn. How often have you flooded your car?? Thats what happens when the petrol isnt atomised - it wont start and you get wet spark plugs. Proves quite a point if 20-odd thousand volt sparks wont ignite petrol as a liquid.

Still, i wouldnt try proving the point by dipping a spark plug in a tankfull of fuel