Board logo

Worth sharing I thought...
John.Taylor - 18/3/08 at 04:14 PM

I got a call from the wife after luch saying her MK4 Sdi golf had made a bad intermittent scraping noise from the rear all the way from Chorley to Prestwich on the M61 & M62 which she'd still covered at 80mph regardless.

She was woried about driving it back so I told her to have a look underneath to see if anything obvious was hanging down, expecting her to say the exhaust. What she came back with nearly knocked me off my seat... 'there is a big spring hanging down by the back wheel'.

(immediately thought - 80mph with no suspension, is this woman crazy?!?!)

I asked if the car was leaning to one side or if the wheel was really high in the arch, but she said it looked like normal. I told her to wait there and I'd come and take a look since I was working in Bolton.

I got there expecting to see a snapped spring dangling off the platform, but all looked OK so I asked her why she thought it was the culprit to which she replied... 'I saw it when I looked through the spokes of the wheel, but I hadn't noticed it before'.

I had a quick feel around the wheel arches to see if the inner plastic splash guards had come loose before bending under the front of the car where I found that the plastic engine tray had come loose and was dragging on the floor - two cable ties and job solved!

Confused but excited. - 18/3/08 at 07:06 PM

quote:
'I saw it when I looked through the spokes of the wheel, but I hadn't noticed it before'.
quote:

Ah, don't you just love 'em?

DarrenW - 19/3/08 at 10:24 AM

Ive just wet myself!!!

Thats a good one.

donut - 19/3/08 at 11:16 AM

VW quality (or lack of it) showing through again!! Yes i have a VW and it ain't great!