Board logo

Planning Permission
mistergrumpy - 13/1/08 at 11:38 PM

I have a conservatory on the back of my house which is like a giant fridge and leaks when it rains. Its a half brick half plastic job and I was thinking about making it full brick, an extension to the house. Would I need planning permission or would I be covered already? No real change in dimension or size or owt its just useless as it is though.

geoff shep - 14/1/08 at 07:19 AM

I think so, yes. Many conservatories don't need it so yours may not have had it originally - but an extension would need it. You would also need to comply with building regulations - which also don't necessarily apply to conservatories. To be unplanned they have to satisfy criteria like being separated from the house (by a door), being mostly glazed, having their own heating etc.

google search

mistergrumpy - 14/1/08 at 08:59 AM

Cheers Geoff. I did do a search but its like they make it all complicated on purpose by using the language they do. everything would seem to point at the fact that the conservatory has had planning permission due to its size relative to the house and its close location to my garage (less than 5 metres?) however I would say building regs haven't been followed as the kitchen sink waste now exits into the rainwater grid. hmm, might have to take a walk to the town hall I think.cheers

andyharding - 14/1/08 at 12:10 PM

Best to speak your local planning dept and building control as they will be able to give you a definitive answer.

DarrenW - 14/1/08 at 12:31 PM

In our area the normal procedure at first is to send in prelim sketches of existing and proposed and they will advise. There are some instances where planning approval isnt needed and you can get an exemption certificate from then. I think the rules vary in different authorities.

You'll probs need building regs - seperate application. They will want to know what foundations are under existing conservatory as well and if it was put up without planning ill bet there isnt and drawings for it. You may need to do a test dig to determine depth etc. Lets hope the correct reinforcement was used, grade of concrete and insulation under floor. It can be a pain to be honest but the lads in councils are normally easy to talk to if you play ball with them. The guy who approved my extension was a star.

It may be easier and cheaper to get a new conservatory put up or existing repaired and fit some insulation / heating. Can you get the solid roof type conservatories still (garden room?)

mistergrumpy - 14/1/08 at 12:46 PM

Hmm. I had the house surveyed 18 months ago when I bought it and nothing was picked up then. Would it have been? If planning permission was applied for would the council have records? Do they keep records?

DarrenW - 14/1/08 at 03:13 PM

The actual survey wouldnt have picked up much unless there were cracks or obvious defect requiring further investigation. The local authority searches however would pull up every planning application lodged on the house and if they were correctly losed off etc. You can then dig out copies of the plans and confirm everything is above board (lst house we bought - every set of plans was with deeds and we just checked them off the list).

For a conservatory its highly likely planning approval wasnt required and therefore wont show. You have to be careful of building regs requirements and in the case of a conservatory being added to a relatively new house then you may also need permission from the builder (in case such addition would compromise the integrity of the original house). Ive had to supply an indemnity insurance cert for such a thing before (house was approx 25 yrs old).

Im no expert though, only know what ive came across in our area before so check out with council. In my experience they are cagey about offering specific advice until they get a formal application but from a sketch will tell you what you need to apply for. The only downer is if it was built without application and needed it, but you can apply for retrospective permission if thats the case. When buying a house its always worth mentioning additions to solicitors.
My last house had an extended garage with permission etc all correctly recorded. I only picked up that a 2nd extension had been added ithout approval at a similar time as the sizes on the plans didnt look right. Seller supplied me with that insurance.

Ive even had to supply indemnity insurance for windows cos i had a mate supply and fit them, therefore couldnt prove a date which was close to a change in regs. Insurance covered in case they werent Fensa approved (which i since learnt for a small fee you can get the council to supply a cert).

Building development is a wonderful hobby