Board logo

Mental brain question
Mr Whippy - 20/4/07 at 11:21 AM

Ok here goes…in order to answer this debate/argument here at work on something shown on Startrek maybe one of you can answer this? If you have your brain transplanted into an android body then would you not age as your brain does not age or brain cells die (I think that’s wrong).

Once you’ve stopped laughing could you settle this…please

TGR-ECOSSE - 20/4/07 at 11:27 AM

You seem to have too much time on your hands Mr Whippy. I am Just off to a meeting at work so when boss asks are there any questions i will put it to them

[Edited on 20/4/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

smart51 - 20/4/07 at 11:36 AM

does the brain not age?

Some cells replicate - thats how organs grow. There is a genetic counter in them that decrements by one each time they replicate. There is a finite number of times that they can reproduce. You will eventually just die as your individual cells die without making a replacement.

The brain contantly makes new connections as you learn new things. Perhaps your brain would just stop remembering as the limit of new connections is made

Perhaps you'll just die of boredome from becoming immensley old and having done everything. That or you'll become so bitter and miserable with age that you'll just die of your own hatred.

People tend to outlive machines so perhaps your android body would give up first.

Confused but excited. - 20/4/07 at 11:38 AM

Ever heard of senility, altzhiemers....etc?
For one I can't tell you how much I look forward to this. I'm already having senior moments. Not long now.

Mr Whippy - 20/4/07 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
You seem to have too much time on your hands Mr Whippy. I am Just off to a meeting at work so when boss asks are there any questions i will put it to them

I have two major plans to finish today so I want this debate finished. Very good points smart51 but I think the answers no to not aging, something about free radicals damaging the cell DNA, typical friday.

trogdor - 20/4/07 at 12:22 PM

you would prob live longer than a normal person but the brain will eventally be unable to keep replacing the neuron cells, an 80 year old i beleive has 90% of the cells they had when they were 20 so saying you could live until a certain percentage of your brain's neuron cells died say 70% then you could live three times longer than a normal person.

thats pretty crude and assuming you don't get become senial or have any mental issues. It would be interesting to know what happens when you learn too much information, and the brain can't take in anymore.

smouldin - 20/4/07 at 12:54 PM

"Ever heard of senility, altzhiemers....etc?
For one I can't tell you how much I look forward to this. I'm already having senior moments. Not long now."

It is not PC to say 'senior moments' I think you will find that the correct terminology is 'CRAFT moment' (Can't Remember A F***ing Thing)

Mr Whippy - 20/4/07 at 01:02 PM

Perhaps by the time such technology is available mental disorders would have been addressed. I believe that neurons are never replaced only repaired.

I for one would not get bored as there are so many different lives you'd get to live, marriage might get a bit stressed after 300 years and you'd get three cards from the queen

TGR-ECOSSE - 20/4/07 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE

[Edited on 20/4/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

Sorry Mr Whippy just out of meeting and couldn't get a chance to ask the question as when boss asked if there were any questions somebody asked "How do i know if my wifes faking her orgasms?" so meeting was over

Mr Whippy - 20/4/07 at 01:41 PM

DorsetStrider - 21/4/07 at 12:31 AM

ok here is how I understand the theory...(yes I'm a trekkie too)

if you transfered your BRAIN to an anderoid you would dieas sooner of later your brains cells would degredate. I think I'm right in saying that brain cells do not reproduce.

If however you transfered your conciousness into an anderoid then you would live as long as the anderoids processors continued to work.

I'll get my coat!

JoelP - 21/4/07 at 06:16 AM

i dont believe that conciousness can be transferred, a computer simulating your brain would be just that, a simulation. You would have no control over it!

Now maybe if you 'upgraded' your brain one cell at a time, replacing with computer parts, you would remain in control then! D:

Peteff - 21/4/07 at 08:19 AM

It's started already, I think you mean degrade. I'm a Futurama fan myself, I think the future is heads in jars with built in life support systems or transplant onto genetically engineered monkey bodies.

DorsetStrider - 21/4/07 at 06:01 PM

OHHHHHH I soooo want a monkey body that would be coooool!

degredate means to degrade...... check a dictionary. (although i have to admit I'm not too sure of the spelling)

As for conciousness being transfered I don't think we are talking about real life here... but IF it was possible that would be the way to go about it....

...unless you had a hammock that cloned you perhaps?

violentblue - 23/4/07 at 04:36 AM

I want to be a Cyberman

Mr Whippy - 23/4/07 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
I want to be a Cyberman

Is that avatar one of your early attempts to charge your batterys?

Beautiful vdub by the way