Board logo

And you think you have problems (big picture)
mangogrooveworkshop - 23/1/06 at 09:08 PM

left it big to make nice desktop wp with it Rescued attachment CapeTown.jpg
Rescued attachment CapeTown.jpg

tadltd - 23/1/06 at 09:25 PM

Did ANY of you South Africans see JAWS??

The water around the coast down there is shark central, but still you dress like sea lions and splash around in the water like you were an injured one!

Craziest people I ever met!

Loved those brai's tho' - but couldn't handle the biltong...

DorsetStrider - 23/1/06 at 09:54 PM

Still can't get my head around these people that voluntarily enter the water.... a water where everything in it wants to bite you, sting you or eat you... and lets face it they have a point. If a bloody great heairy foot come crashing down through your ceiling you'd be pissed off too!

[Edited on 23/1/06 by DorsetStrider]

ed_crouch - 24/1/06 at 02:34 AM

That shark isnt going to eat him.

Sharks have to be frightened to attack. Jaws is rubbish: shark behaviour just isnt like that!

Generally sharks will attack if:

They are driven into a feeding frienzy by chumming (swirling loads of fish blood and guts in the water)

Or a group of divers corners one underwater (only really applicable to little reef sharks)

Or sometimes they may associate human presence with food (beacause of cage diving) and take a little nip, realise its not food and leg (fin?) it.

He's just curious...

Ed.

MikeR - 24/1/06 at 08:59 AM

i was also under the impression we don't taste very nice as well !

shame they can't figure that out before they take a bite

rusty nuts - 24/1/06 at 10:23 AM

Ed , I'll take your word for it . Don't think I want to chance it myself

nick205 - 24/1/06 at 03:30 PM

whack it with the paddle and hope for the best or sit tight and hope for the best

Either way a change of pants would be required !

Peteff - 24/1/06 at 04:45 PM

. Rescued attachment CapeTown.jpg
Rescued attachment CapeTown.jpg

akumabito - 24/1/06 at 05:06 PM

Decent odds of survival are for girly-men... besides, everybody knows Great White sharks hunt in packs and swim in perfect formation aaaalll the time..

[Edited on 24/1/06 by akumabito]

steve_gus - 24/1/06 at 06:13 PM

ed

what category does someone who gets attacked when swimming close to shore come into.... doesnt seem to fit those...

atb

steve

ed_crouch - 30/1/06 at 11:19 PM

The last one.

The presence of cage divers in the water is associated with food by the shark because the cage dive boat operator normally chucks dead fish guts into the water, which to a shark IS food.

So, the sharks begin to associate human silhouettes with food. Hence, they see one, even swimming in the shalows, and take a nip to decide whether its a meal. The shark realises its not, and wanders off disapointed.

Ed.

mangogrooveworkshop - 1/2/06 at 12:05 AM

Surfing is pure fun and the johnnys are just another risk. Riding your motorbike to the beach with your surfboard stuck out the back carried a bigger risk than the sharks. Rule one Stay out when there is chocolate water after heavy rain. Rule 2 Surfin when its dark or dusk carried a higher risk. Rule three surf in a group ...........it increases your chances of not getting munched

Oh and wax that board properly.........as anyone who meets me will see.........fins hurt bad real bad I have the scars