Board logo

Photoshoped or not
mangogrooveworkshop - 4/5/05 at 09:24 AM

flak monkey - 4/5/05 at 10:13 AM

Technically all mercs are limited to 155mph, but then you can remove the limiter. If it was done on an airfield it could be real.

liam.mccaffrey - 4/5/05 at 11:02 AM

but is it likely to be geared to do 160 at 5200 revs, a bit low i thought, i reckon its photoshopped doesn't look right

scoobyis2cool - 4/5/05 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
but is it likely to be geared to do 160 at 5200 revs, a bit low i thought, i reckon its photoshopped doesn't look right

Just done some quick calculations, taking the data I found for the E50 AMG HERE (wheel size, gearing), the engine would be doing just over 5300rpm at 160mph in top gear so looks like it most probably is right. Whether the pic is genuine or not is another matter but I don't see why not.

Pete

[Edited on 4/5/05 by scoobyis2cool]

Alan B - 4/5/05 at 01:03 PM

The tip of the needle is dodgy when zoomed in close, also there are traces of orange around 140...

My verdict.

Photoshopped.

flak monkey - 4/5/05 at 01:08 PM

Im not sure.... the tip of the needle is inline with the 160 mark so it looks a bit dodgy. JPG compression may be to blame for that. There are traces of orange around 140 in the centre, but these carry on over the centre of the speedo, so could be a reflection?

If photoshopped the 160 in the digital display has been done very well.

David Rescued attachment speedo.jpg
Rescued attachment speedo.jpg

OX - 4/5/05 at 05:24 PM

would a speedo healer work on these cars,cuz i can get the clock on my kit to read 220mph(or what ever the max speed shows on the clocks,cant remember) by using the SH set up and then all i'd need to do then is rev it to the red line

Spyderman - 4/5/05 at 06:08 PM

It would be quite possible to do it on a rolling road!
On the real road I would not expect the picture to be clear as there would be a lot of vibration. Plus wouldn't the driver have his hands busy driving?

Mark Allanson - 4/5/05 at 08:08 PM

Rolling road?, just jack the back end up

JoelP - 4/5/05 at 09:43 PM

ive been in an sl55 amg, i do believe it has plenty of potential if the limiter was removed

probably on a ramp though, rather than just jacked up - imagine the burnout it would do if it dropped off!!!

greggors84 - 4/5/05 at 09:56 PM

I agree, most of the AMGs are easily capable of 160mph.

Maybe i would question it, if it was a pic of a speedo showing over 200, but alot of cars can do 160mph.

I reckon he was just crusing down the autobahn on the way to work. But then the main scale would be KMPH. Whatever i think its real