Board logo

cracked bath
ali f27 - 17/1/13 at 09:03 PM

Hi anybody know how to seal cracked plastic bath bit of an emergency will replace bath but could do with repair just for now

owelly - 17/1/13 at 09:14 PM

Araldite.

blakep82 - 17/1/13 at 09:39 PM

A bit of pond liner (to take care of the crack getting bigger) and some PU stuff like sikaflex or tiger seal?

austin man - 17/1/13 at 09:45 PM

Fiberglassover it using the tissue and resin

Grimsdale - 17/1/13 at 10:18 PM

a big sheet of plastic..... difficult to remove the plug though!

snakebelly - 18/1/13 at 03:31 AM

Biggest problem wont be sealing it but keeping it sealed, modern baths are actually quite flimsy so even if you araldite it I'm betting it will crack again, fibreglass with tissue and resin gets my vote as it can be applied way past the crack and will hopefully add enough strength to stop the crack propagating

Andy S - 18/1/13 at 06:50 AM

Would have thought that a wide bead of silicone sealant would be your best bet

cliftyhanger - 18/1/13 at 07:30 AM

if you can get behind it fibreglass there a few layers. Grind out the crack carefully (dremel or burr in a drill or whatever) after and use gelcoat filler. Wet and dry, followed by t cut and it is almost invisible....
I had to repair a bath in a rental at short notice, and to get the bath out was a serious issue. So the repair stayed for about 8 years until the bathroom had a refurb. Nobody ever mentioned it.

this is assuming a fibreglass bath.

JoelP - 21/1/13 at 09:30 AM

ditto fibreglass. Others wont last long - silicone wouldnt have enough to seal on, and harder glues will crack.

owelly - 21/1/13 at 10:21 AM

My chum dropped a tile into his plastic bath and cracked it. I popped up with my f/glassing gear but getting under the bath was a pita so vleaned the crack with wire wool and nlobbed Araldite on it as a temp repair. That was two Christmasses ago and its still holding strong...

tegwin - 22/1/13 at 12:41 PM

1 strip of proper duct tape would do the job for a few months

dhutch - 22/1/13 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
1 strip of proper duct tape would do the job for a few months

If going down this route, drill a 5mm hole at the end, or just beyond the end, of the crack.

And use PVC duct tape or electrical insulation tape, rather than fabric containing gaffa tape such as 'duck tape'. Terms are confusing but gaffa tape isnt that waterproof long term.

Daniel

rallyingden - 22/1/13 at 04:05 PM

I dropped a tile in the bath and cracked it but as it was being replaced in a few weeks I "repaired" it with a bit of blue tack stuck in the hole, from the inside of the bath !
My few weeks turned into 3 months but it held OK

RD

perksy - 22/1/13 at 05:21 PM

Had to do one of these once and used fibreglass tissue and resin
Lightly sanded the underneath of the crack and then applied the resin & Tissue
Also used this method on a cracked plastic toilet cistern