Board logo

mental cyclist
02GF74 - 11/12/12 at 10:45 PM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGFFRySvSM

loggyboy - 11/12/12 at 11:13 PM

That is nuts. the speed he gets and carries is immense

It also lead me to this which is shocking!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qycF0raqpg

bi22le - 11/12/12 at 11:41 PM

The OP video is crazy. Except for the crazy maneuvers, i would love to do that.

Loggyboy, your clip was shown on a program called war on our roads. Or something like that. Its about cyclists on UK roads and has some shocking footage. You should watch it.

Simon - 12/12/12 at 01:41 AM

Bloke in the first vid is a twat and is the sort that gives cyclists a bad name. If he'd crashed into a car, he'd have hid his camera and the driver would have got done!

For big kahonies

Bigger still

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh - 12/12/12 at 01:42 AM

quote:
Clip description
Showing blatant disregard to the rules of the road and zero consideration for other road users.

Apart from speeding not too sure what rules of the road he was disregarding.. Yes he was riding like a tool with his backside on fire though.

MikeRJ - 12/12/12 at 06:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Clip description
Showing blatant disregard to the rules of the road and zero consideration for other road users.

Apart from speeding not too sure what rules of the road he was disregarding..

So overtaking on blind bends doesn't count?

Macbeast - 12/12/12 at 07:01 AM

Apparently cyclists can't be done for speeding.

02GF74 - 12/12/12 at 10:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Bloke in the first vid is a twat and is the sort that gives cyclists a bad name. If he'd crashed into a car, he'd have hid his camera and the driver would have got done!

Simon

why do you say that?

What the emergency crews scrape of the road will determine who was at fault.

there are crazy people out there, whether they are in cars, buses, lorries, motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians, difference is that those not enclosed in a metal box will end up worse in any collision.

blakep82 - 12/12/12 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Simon

why do you say that?

What the emergency crews scrape of the road will determine who was at fault.

there are crazy people out there, whether they are in cars, buses, lorries, motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians, difference is that those not enclosed in a metal box will end up worse in any collision.

you've just answered your own question right there

Slimy38 - 12/12/12 at 11:46 AM

Up until 2:30 I was just thinking he was a fairly quick cyclist having some fun. But then overtaking while there is an oncoming car is just idiotic.

And whilst I believe most pedal cycles don't have a speedo, and it's very likely he couldn't get done for speeding, did he not consider that if he was overtaking every car he saw then he was going too fast? One car out for a slow Sunday tootle about is quite possible, all traffic going slower than him suggests he is the one at fault.

That second one is insane, not just because he gets knocked over but because the women then drives straight over him!

JAG - 12/12/12 at 12:11 PM

OP video is a little extreme but not crazy.

I don't think he was going particularly quick, it does look fast but that's because he's on a bike and completely exposed.

Overtaking of vehicles IS allowed if you're going faster than they are and consider the risk is manageable - I see far worse car driving on a regular basis.

quote:

overtaking while there is an oncoming car is just idiotic

I cycle a lot in the UK and being overtaken by other traffic when there is an oncoming car is par for the course.

People driving cars do this to cyclists - there's no difference when a cyclist does it to a car. There's a risk but you have to just be aware.

Simon - 13/12/12 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
.....those not enclosed in a metal box will end up worse in any collision.

So, imagine you were in one of the cars coming up the hill, and the twat on the bike got his line even slightly worse (he goes over line at a couple of points) or the timing of you in your oncoming car and tell me you wouldn't take evasive action (I struggle at the thought of not driving into a dog, let alone missing a person), even if it meant driving into a ditch/wall etc - all while muppet carries on on his merry way. Yes you in your metal box will be fine.

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh - 13/12/12 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:
Clip description

Apart from speeding not too sure what rules of the road he was disregarding..

So overtaking on blind bends doesn't count?

Good point

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Apparently cyclists can't be done for speeding.

Any idea why not?

Staple balls - 14/12/12 at 02:19 PM

To me it looks like he was riding unsafely, but ultimately doing nothing I wouldn't in the situation, he was in control and risking no ones life but his own.

I dunno if cyclists can be done for speeding, but back in the day we used to try (and succeed) to set off speed cameras, so I suppose it just comes down to identification. Though I'd argue that a bikes stopping distance is massively shorter than a cars, so limits don't apply so much.

loggyboy - 14/12/12 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Any idea why not?

Speeding laws only apply to motor vehicles.
You can still be done for dangerous (or furious) cycling. I seem to recal hearing of a cyclist who got 4 years for killing a pedestrian.