Cheap Fiesta.. ahem...
coozer - 18/9/11 at 11:20 AM

A Cat D???? Kidding me!

2009 Ford Fiesta 1.2 Zetec 82 Damaged Salvage Cat D | eBay

omega0684 - 18/9/11 at 11:34 AM

i wouldn't have been surprised if int he add it said

"Minor damage that im sure will polish out!"

hillbillyracer - 18/9/11 at 12:22 PM

How the hell do they decide on the classification of these things?! I've never bought a damaged car to repair myself but I've bought them as spares cars & been involved with a few that have gone back on the road & it varies wildly. You see something like that as a Cat D & other times a Cat B with very little wrong, mabye even usuable as it is.

To be fair though with that Fiesta it may be nowhere near as bad as it looks, I know of a Punto that looked about as bad but there was no structural damage at all, just the top edge of the inner wing & the slam panel around the headlight were the only parts with any real damage that wern't bolt on. 6 months old under 4k on the clock & back on the road for about £3000 all in.

Confused but excited. - 18/9/11 at 12:45 PM

"It is a Cat D but we have no V5 at the moment" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mark Allanson - 18/9/11 at 12:48 PM

The categorisations are not opinions, but mathematics

Cat D Repairable where the estimated repair costs are not economic, but do not exceed the value of the vehicle

Cat C Repairable where the estimated repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle

Cat B Not repairable, but the salvage retains value, break only

Cat A Not repairable where the salvage has no value

hillbillyracer - 18/9/11 at 04:57 PM

That's just it though, quite often the cars dont seem to fit in the catergary they've been given.
You'll see something that's had an mabye a scrape up the side needing a wing & two doors or a light engine bay or dash fire & fair enough the repair cost is beyond the value of the vehicle due to it being something like 8-10 years old or a classic but still perfectly repairable but it's a Cat B. And at the other end of the scale there'll be a Cat D looking like it really should be on a jig to at least make sure it's still straight & needing a load of parts & you struggle to see how it could be fixed (at least taking labour & new parts into account) for less than it'd be worth just before it was crashed.
It may be based on mathematics but it's decided by a human being, using their opinion!

Mark Allanson - 19/9/11 at 07:23 PM

It is normally decided by a computer program called Audatex, you simply add all the damage details, list the parts and it throws a total at you