Board logo

It's not paranoia
Ninehigh - 5/4/11 at 11:18 PM

I really am being spied on...

You've all seen those adverts that line the top and sides of websites, there's one at the top of this very page for Machine Mart. It's understandable that a site like this will take money for advertising something relevant to the purpose.

Most often the random other sites I peruse (along with some regular comics I frequent) don't have relevant advertising. Often it's "Lose 18 pounds with this simple method" and I jokingly think to myself "How do they know?"

Some other adverts have been "See how this single mom earned £3000 a week" shown holding a cheque for $45000 or tooth whitening or even dating sites (they make me laugh, geekdating and fitness dating!)

But the one that confirms it has just happened to me now, when I flick over to the next tab the advert is for RAM..

For the first time ever

Is it a coincidence that for the first time ever I got sick of my laptop being slow and called up the insurance guy to make sure they haven't done anything dodgy, when it occurred to me "I might be short on ram" and mentioned it.

"Yeah this shows you have 1 gig, and on Vista that's nothing"

So off I go looking for a price... I visit 2 sites, crucial.com and pcworld.

Guess who's advertising is there, and I'll give you a clue it begins with a C...

It's not paranoia, they know!

blakep82 - 6/4/11 at 01:07 AM

try clicking on the little 'i' in the corner of the ad, it'll tell you more

jossey - 6/4/11 at 07:28 AM

Cookie based adverts ain't anything new.

You can change your privacy settings to stop it but I like it.

For me it makes even the most boring site more fun.

Anywho just turn off cookies and the spying adverts should stop.

loggyboy - 6/4/11 at 08:41 AM

What annoys me is the Halfords emails - I subscribe as sometimes they have good offers and its good to get them, however If I idle browse their website, a few hours later I get an email telling me about one or two of the items I looked at - but with no offers etc attached, just the details I had already read on the website. Makes me want to unsubscribe!

blakep82 - 6/4/11 at 09:07 AM

what annoys me is looking for the girlfriends birthday presents, then adverts showing up for it on every page i went on to for a week after

Ninehigh - 6/4/11 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
what annoys me is looking for the girlfriends birthday presents, then adverts showing up for it on every page i went on to for a week after

Good job you didn't look in Ann Summers or Victoria's Secret for birthday presents then

Macbeast - 6/4/11 at 06:29 PM

Your girl friend is up for it ?
Lucky you

blakep82 - 6/4/11 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Your girl friend is up for it ?
Lucky you

always ha ha