Board logo

Friday fun: watch the w#$tf!eld guys get all nervous....
sebastiaan - 2/7/10 at 10:38 AM

...about cutting out a chassis member that clearly adds almost nothing to chassis integrity and see how they handle someone that actually talks common sense. Ammusing read ;-)

O no, you're going to die!

It concerns this prefailed chassis member:

flak monkey - 2/7/10 at 10:50 AM

That really is quite funny....

I can understand the warranty implications of modifying a factory built chassis and the related concerns.

However, as someone who did chassis design for his dissertation at uni I can categorically state that member adds no STIFFNESS or strutural integrity to the chassis.

Its just a bump sop to stop you whacking the gearbox my the looks of it!

scootz - 2/7/10 at 11:39 AM

Crikey... they are getting their knickers in a twist!

I've 'modded' a Caterham and an Ultima chassis and put the changes 'out-there' for the forum members to see and nobody in either community got anywhere near as precious as some of these Westie guys are getting!

sebastiaan - 2/7/10 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Its just a bump sop to stop you whacking the gearbox my the looks of it!

NO NO NO! Now you are going to die in a huge fireball accident too! ;-)

Quite ammusing, isn't it?

PS. Yes, I think it's nothing more than a transmission guard also, but hey, who am I to judge the design gods at westfield, right?

scootz - 2/7/10 at 12:01 PM

I reckon the car would break in two lengthways if you removed that guard and the result would be a comedy moment involving the driver going one way whilst the passenger went the other (with the Benny Hill tune playing in the background... obviously!).

Bluemoon - 2/7/10 at 12:06 PM

The thing about this is that removing it will then mean his gearbox bell-housing will probably will hit the things the gard is hitting. I would guess removal is fixing a symptom of low ride height...

Dan

sebastiaan - 2/7/10 at 12:23 PM

WSCC thread locked after comments on the structural integrity of WF diff mounts.

O my....

Now, where did I put my vuvuzela? It's almost time to stomp all over the Brasileiros ;-)

MikeR - 2/7/10 at 01:00 PM

what was the outcome of the poor bloke who's chassis fell apart at the rear on him?

and then the ones who's chassis rails at the front fractured?

What is the problem with the diff mounts???

Guinness - 2/7/10 at 01:20 PM

So that is a guard to prevent you hitting your sump / bellhousing off things you are reversing over?

Reverse slower?

Mike

sebastiaan - 2/7/10 at 01:39 PM

Shh! You might upset someone ;-)

I guess those cases have been dealt with by WF. What I find amusing though is the uptight attitude those guys at the WSCC forum have about this kind of situation.

We also tend to get into some heated debates (I'm sure the front geometry of my indy is as good as an LA Gold ) but they seem to take things to a whole other level.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
what was the outcome of the poor bloke who's chassis fell apart at the rear on him?

and then the ones who's chassis rails at the front fractured?

sebastiaan - 2/7/10 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

this http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Print;f=3;t=82335

Ninehigh - 2/7/10 at 07:23 PM

I think the problem here is that it's seen more as a "real" car, where you have warranties and in the event of a big shunt some guy comes round and invalidates your insurance cos that bar's been cut off..

Confused but excited. - 3/7/10 at 08:21 PM

"It matters not if the factory are giving out sound engineering advice or not, we WILL listen and we WILL obey. That's it. "

Resistance would appear to be futile.
Westfields are actually made by Daleks.

l0rd - 3/7/10 at 10:46 PM

bla bla vla

Warranty?

Is this 1 year at westfields? At least, this is how much they give them in Greece and this is the EEC approved model.