Board logo

That was hard work...
Simon - 20/6/10 at 07:43 PM

I, along with 27,000 others, did the London to Brighton bike ride today - not a massive distance at 54 miles, but I'd suggest serious cyclists go and have a look at Ditchling Beacon. I reckoned (well, it looked and felt) it was between 1 in 5 to 1 in 4 for about a miles and a bit. Rode it all the way but had to stop as couldn't engage granny ring.

Lots of clogged hills necessitate a much earlier start next year.

Final thing, I would be grateful to anyone who fancies supporting the BHF to give a little sponsorship on my justgiving page please http://original.justgiving.com/simonlivingstone2

Thanks very muchly

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 20/6/10 by Simon]

Marcus - 29/6/10 at 07:42 PM

Hey Simon, I did it last year, and yeah Ditchling is a pig. I managed to ride it all the way on a road bike. My sister failed about half way up!! I heard someone died on the beacon this year...bugger.
That event has got too big really, 27000 cyclists is a bit daft on some parts, it took us over an hour to get out of London, some of the inclines (not even hills) were crammed.
Pleased I did it though, I like the sound of the offroad...

02GF74 - 2/7/10 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I, along with 27,000 others, did the London to Brighton bike ride today - not a massive distance at 54 miles, but I'd suggest serious cyclists go and have a look at Ditchling Beacon.

firstly well done.

ditchling beacon? piece of cake, when I did it but that was some years back and I was pretty damn fit; had to shout at the peeps to get out of the way !!! Grrrrr. Granny ring? Pah, just had 2 rings on my road bike, 52/42.

it is a good day out but far too crowded.