Board logo

hernia op
jacko - 8/10/09 at 08:34 PM

For them that have had a Hernia op how long dose it take before you got back to work
I am a commercial vehicle body builder / welder
jacko

chrsgrain - 9/10/09 at 07:54 AM

Depends on how its done (open or laparoscopic) whether its unilateral or bilateral, how fit you were before hand and a few other things....

CHris

Mr Whippy - 9/10/09 at 09:00 AM

I'd have thought BenB would be able to answer that or you local GP

David Jenkins - 9/10/09 at 11:24 AM

I suspect that once you've had a hernia it'll be a point of weakness for the rest of your life, regardless of it being surgically mended. You will probably have to modify your lifting & moving habits to avoid a relapse. A lot depends on where it is and how bad it was before the repair.

However, I have a level of medical knowledge that's slightly sub-zero, so many will disagree - don't rely on my opinion!

flak monkey - 9/10/09 at 11:44 AM

Hernia ops - most recommend avoiding heavy lifting etc for 6 weeks.

Though you might be able to return to work sooner.

The wounds are repaied with a special mesh now which the muscle can grow through/around making the repair theoretically stronger than it was before.

Its only day surgery now unless is really major. When I had one done I was in hospital for a week.

Ben_Copeland - 9/10/09 at 12:51 PM

Had 2 ops when I was very young. Never had anything since and I do a lot of lifting. Properly and not so!

I'm sure nowadays you'll be back to work in no time

40inches - 9/10/09 at 01:28 PM

Had op done 3 years ago, full monty with Teflon mesh, the chances of it recurring are infinitesimal IF the advice given is followed i:e NO physical exertion for at least 4 weeks (that includes driving! it was pointed out to me that although driving in itself is not physical, hitting the brake pedal in an emergency stop will most likely pop it back out) but 6 weeks is recommended for full recovery, I was effin stir crazy by the end of the 3rd week, daytime TV is the pits
3 years on I still get an ache after a full day of humping domestic appliances around, but quality of life is sooo much better, in every way

Mr Whippy - 9/10/09 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Had op done 3 years ago, full monty with Teflon mesh, the chances of it recurring are infinitesimal IF the advice given is followed i:e NO physical exertion for at least 4 weeks (that includes driving! it was pointed out to me that although driving in itself is not physical, hitting the brake pedal in an emergency stop will most likely pop it back out) but 6 weeks is recommended for full recovery, I was effin stir crazy by the end of the 3rd week, daytime TV is the pits
3 years on I still get an ache after a full day of humping domestic appliances around, but quality of life is sooo much better, in every way

Very disturbing imagery there

40inches - 9/10/09 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Very disturbing imagery there

It,s amazing what you can do after a hernia op

cs3tcr - 9/10/09 at 04:20 PM

I had the open sugery with the mesh, was back at work in 3 weeks, but wasnt cleared to play hockey for about 10 weeks. I still get a twinge once in a while after lifting something really heavy.

jacko - 9/10/09 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cs3tcr
I had the open sugery with the mesh, was back at work in 3 weeks, but wasnt cleared to play hockey for about 10 weeks. I still get a twinge once in a while after lifting something really heavy.

What job do you do ?
My Son plays ice hockey for Kingston upon Hull ED1

cs3tcr - 9/10/09 at 05:08 PM

I work for a shop that sells MG and Triumph parts here in Vancouver. So no real heavy lifting and mostly sitting at my desk.

I almost forgot, after your surgery try and avoid anything that might make you sneeze. It doesnt feel nice when you do.

40inches - 9/10/09 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cs3tcr
I almost forgot, after your surgery try and avoid anything that might make you sneeze. It doesnt feel nice when you do.

I'll second that

RK - 10/10/09 at 12:36 AM

6 weeks on the button to return to bush flying (lots of heavy lifting loading my own airplanes). Mind you, I was 28. I had mine in the off season, so hockey wasn't a problem that year!