Board logo

yer food bill
mangogrooveworkshop - 17/8/09 at 08:16 PM

Rescued attachment 2ytA4GV59pZXM575Rp.jpg
Rescued attachment 2ytA4GV59pZXM575Rp.jpg

smart51 - 17/8/09 at 09:46 PM

$1.00 per day is the official world poverty line. There are 6 in the last picture eating on just over £1 between them. Their total volume of food is just a fraction of the next photo up. Some people criticise the UK endlessly calling it a 3rd world like country and worse. It's not though is it. In terms of GDP per capita, we're 18th out of nearly 200 countries. $36000US per person. Half way down the list is $7500US. The bottom 10% earn less than £1000.

We're rich, over fed, well educated with comprehensive heath care but we just don't appreciate it.

clairetoo - 17/8/09 at 10:44 PM

That German family spend more on food in a month than I earn

My average weekly food bill is something around £30.........

locogeoff - 18/8/09 at 12:44 AM

somethiing else I noticed about the series of photos is the amount of packaging involved, The amounnt of money spent seems to be directly proportional to the amount of oackaging.

So where is the money from my food costs actually going! Landfill?
though we do segregrate

Jasper - 18/8/09 at 09:46 AM

And notice how much of it is in liquid form for the more prosperous nations?

Mr Whippy - 18/8/09 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff
somethiing else I noticed about the series of photos is the amount of packaging involved, The amounnt of money spent seems to be directly proportional to the amount of oackaging.

So where is the money from my food costs actually going! Landfill?
though we do segregrate

a very good point and especially the top picture seems incredibly wasteful and inefficient, why do they need so many bottles? why not just buy barrels?

Also clearly shows that you should never get in a car with a German as they must be totally pi$$ed out their skulls

David Jenkins - 18/8/09 at 11:27 AM

This sort of survey winds me up - there is no way that our household has EVER spent that much per week on food, or bought that much, even when there were 2 hungry teenagers (and their friends) around the house. No-one has gone hungry in our house either.

It's like that statement the other week - "Every household wastes 50% of all the food they buy" - not in our house - we just buy the stuff we're likely to eat, and the only food that gets thrown is stuff we've forgotten was in the fridge/cupboard.

100% of all generalisations are made up...

oadamo - 18/8/09 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
$1.00 per day is the official world poverty line. There are 6 in the last picture eating on just over £1 between them. Their total volume of food is just a fraction of the next photo up. Some people criticise the UK endlessly calling it a 3rd world like country and worse. It's not though is it. In terms of GDP per capita, we're 18th out of nearly 200 countries. $36000US per person. Half way down the list is $7500US. The bottom 10% earn less than £1000.

We're rich, over fed, well educated with comprehensive heath care but we just don't appreciate it.

well said

Ninehigh - 18/8/09 at 11:40 PM

That top picture isn't my family, that's my stepdaughter!

JoelP - 19/8/09 at 07:35 PM

thought it would be a joke with an english chav at the bottom with a WKD for the week

I sadly do nothing to support africa, i only currently support uk children charities. My dad however (with others) does a lot for one specific village somewhere out there, including fitting out a school.

It does weigh on my conscience however that whilst our biggest dilemas might be which car to buy next, some people spend their whole lifes struggling to feed their famiies

David Jenkins - 19/8/09 at 07:44 PM

It's interesting to note that apart from the last picture of the Chad family, the quality of food eaten is in reverse order...

There seems to be much more vegetables and fruit eaten in Poland & Mexico than in the USA or Germany.

[Edited on 19/8/09 by David Jenkins]

mangogrooveworkshop - 19/8/09 at 10:28 PM

Some very good answers there.

Seen it from both sides....when I was in Africa the locals ate what ever unlucky animal they came across. Donkey goat and horse as well as all the cheap cuts of beef or pork, chiken ect. Steak used to be cheap cause the fellas didnt eat the soft meat (umlungu`s inyama)
Over here the diet is appalling high in fat and sugar with alcohol to wash it all down.
Interestingly with the woman in Africa fatter is considered better by the blokes

Whites had the total opposite view resulting in the young females starving themselves and becoming anorexic and bulimic. Blame the fashion mags and there use of photoshop on all the pictures for that. (young minds are easy to program)