Board logo

Friday's oooh look at these wheels thread
02GF74 - 22/5/09 at 09:12 AM

no need for words.

[Edited on 22/5/09 by 02GF74]

hobzy - 22/5/09 at 09:18 AM

Ooh I think I just did a little sex wee...

coozer - 22/5/09 at 09:35 AM

Can you 225's on them then?

iank - 22/5/09 at 09:48 AM

Could have saves milligrams by making that valve stem shorter. No attention to detail....

02GF74 - 22/5/09 at 10:13 AM

I'm gonnas have to google up on those.

here: http://www.crankbrothers.com/wheel_design.php

I am guessing the spoke is a two piece - aluminium alloy (blue anodised) and stainless steel, but why not make it one piece alloy?

It seems to be a trend to have larger aluminium spoke carriers, maybe it is stronger or maybe marketing eye candy.

Example from another manufacturer.

[Edited on 22/5/09 by 02GF74]

MautoK - 23/5/09 at 06:01 PM

How about these

carpmart - 24/5/09 at 07:23 AM

The OP wheels look expensive. No good for road racing, first pot hole and several grand down the drain!

Ivan - 24/5/09 at 08:02 AM

I know nothing about cycling but how many seconds an hour will equipment like that gain you. And if you're just the normal pack rider will it make any significant difference in your placing in the pack. i.e. - is it just a waste of money for the normal Joe or really justifiable in respect to finishing places.

iank - 24/5/09 at 08:54 AM

A good question, there are a lot of "bloke" hobbies where the same thing applies. There is a big market for people who feel they need to latest "best" gear no matter the price. It's a status thing, most extreme examples I know about in the uk are:

Cycling
Fishing
Golf
HiFi

The term applied over here is "all the gear, but no idea"
In the states I think handguns/rifles are also in the same category.

Mr Whippy - 25/5/09 at 07:38 AM

the swamp trike looks a lot more fun than the weird push bike rims

[Edited on 25/5/09 by Mr Whippy]

02GF74 - 26/5/09 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I know nothing about cycling but how many seconds an hour will equipment like that gain you. And if you're just the normal pack rider will it make any significant difference in your placing in the pack. i.e. - is it just a waste of money for the normal Joe or really justifiable in respect to finishing places.

probably not a great deal.

but is it any different to fitting a bike engine or carbon fibre wings etc?

Mr Whippy - 26/5/09 at 11:55 AM

Although the top ones do look fancy.

The spokes look very chunky (especially the rim connector) and I'd expect far more air resistance from this design than a conventional spoke. They haven't even used aerofoil section spokes or blended in the flanges on the rim. Looks a lot of scope for improvement tbh

Even the red one which has better spokes could have done with the hubs being blended properly around those 'fingers'

MikeRJ - 26/5/09 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
the swamp trike looks a lot more fun than the weird push bike rims

It does, but those front forks worry me a bit!

hobzy - 27/5/09 at 12:06 PM

The OP wheels are MTB wheels anyway, so more engineered towards strength for weight rather than speed and also for the tubeless tyre system - hence no spokes going through the rim.

gazza285 - 29/5/09 at 02:36 PM

Do you still have to pedal?