Board logo

Garden shredders?
David Jenkins - 17/3/09 at 11:20 AM

Our poor old Al-Ko garden shredder has eaten its electric motor and gone to the scrapheap...

Now I'm looking for a new one and the prices are making my eyes water!

Can anyone recommend a reasonable one for around £100? Not looking for gimmicks - just a reasonably competent one that (preferably) is maintainable and doesn't jam all the time.

Oh - and a good place to buy one?

Ta.

Schrodinger - 17/3/09 at 11:07 PM

Not sure of the price but I have a Bosche shredder that uses a screw action rather than a rotary blade and although it is probably coming to the end of it's life it has done good service and cuts through anything up to about 45mm.
Don't use a shredder on conifer cuttings though as the resin causes all sorts of binding/blocking.

It's similar to this top one
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/search.asp?pg=1&stext=bosch&scat=53&gclid=COLd16aKq5kCFQ2ZQwod5hl9KA

[Edited on 17/3/09 by Schrodinger]

Hellfire - 18/3/09 at 05:48 PM

You doubt you will get a half-reasonable one for £100.

Steve

MikeR - 18/3/09 at 05:59 PM

I got a terrible one for about 80 quid a while ago - B&Q special. Lets just say it found a new home

David Jenkins - 18/3/09 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
You doubt you will get a half-reasonable one for £100.

Steve

The cheapest Bosch is around £125 - which is possibly what I'll end up with.

As I was trying to repair the old one I remembered that it only cost me about £75 - but that was about 15 years ago! If you add in the inflation it works out a lot more expensive than the new Bosch...

Hellfire - 20/3/09 at 04:56 PM

Much cheaper to Hire one... but depends on how often you'll require it's use.

Steve

JoelP - 21/3/09 at 04:20 PM

having been watching too much discovery channel (mega machines!), i would suggest building a big one.

Staple balls - 21/3/09 at 05:30 PM

Make an array of Blendtec blenders

RoadkillUK - 21/3/09 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
having been watching too much discovery channel (mega machines!), i would suggest building a big one.

Are you talking about the one that ate the tree trunks?

Hellfire - 23/3/09 at 11:19 PM

I am currently making an Industrial one to pulverise tables and chairs for use in the recycling business.

You could hire that - takes about 10 seconds to totally destroy a door/table into 1-2" chunks!

Steve