Board logo

advice osteopath or chiropractic
Angus180 - 5/3/09 at 02:01 PM

help, i've have a bad shoulder for a long time now, had any body had any Experience with osteopath or chiropractic???

smart51 - 5/3/09 at 02:28 PM

I visit a Chiropractor to help a problem with my neck. It works very well.

Due to damage to the bones, sometimes they (mechanically) stick together. The muscels become over tense from trying to work the joint and then spasm causing the pain. The Chiropractor manupulates the joints freeing them up then squeeses the muscels to make them relax.

If your problem is caused by a specific injury, activity or bad posture, a course of treatment should make the problem go away. If like me, the problem is caused by permenant damage, the problem will keep reoccuring if left untreated. Occasional maintenance from the Chiropractor will save a lot of pain and use of paracetemol.

Saying that, a chiropractor treats the spine, from the jount with the scull to the joints in the pelvis and the joints with the bones in the shoulder. Your problem may not be included in that. An Osteopath treats joints in general, so knees and ankles and things. One or the other may be able to help.

MikeR - 5/3/09 at 06:02 PM

I always forget which is which, but one is degree educated and one isn't. I think the full body is a degree course whilst 'just' the spine is an NVQ / HND / some other qualification type thingy.

smart51 - 5/3/09 at 06:17 PM

Both the Chiropractors I've seen (different towns) have been doctors first who have then entered chiropractice. I believe it is not compulsory to be a doctor of Chiropractice. An osteopath is a doctor in the same way as a paediatrician or a urologist.

To be fair, Chiropractors don't do surgery and Osteopaths do much more than bend joints and squeeze muscles.

Angus180 - 5/3/09 at 08:19 PM

i went this afternoon to an osteopath, amazing, lovely lady if i had the money id stay all day.