Board logo

Morons with high-beams...
David Jenkins - 10/2/09 at 10:26 PM

What is it with some clowns?

Coming home from the station this evening... pillock 100 metres behind me in a country lane with his high-beam on...

Coming back from the pub tonight... another pillock 100 metres behind me in the same country lane, also with his high-beam on... and one coming towards me, also with his high-beam on! He eventually dipped after being flashed about 20 times... and the one following STILL didn't dip!

Arghhhh!!!!!

(Five exclamation marks - a sure sign of madness...)

<end rant>

David Jenkins - 11/2/09 at 01:21 PM

What have I started...

Mr Whippy - 11/2/09 at 03:40 PM

my landys had two driving lights for reversing I could switch on from the dash.

Folk never did that for very long

I also fit high power front driving lights to all my cars too

cd.thomson - 11/2/09 at 03:53 PM

flash them with this:

http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/ccw/info.htm

focijohn - 11/2/09 at 09:13 PM

Get yourself a passenger and get a 5million candle power torch. It will either burn out their retinas or they will dip. My dad had one and it was good and would illuminate from a good 500m

MkII - 11/2/09 at 10:47 PM

slow down to about walking pace so they overtake you then follow them for several miles with your lights on full beam.a bit childish but at the same time quite satisfying .m.

David Jenkins - 12/2/09 at 09:11 AM

Occasionally I wonder about having a strip of red corner reflectors* in my rear window - if someone doesn't dip, they get their own lights straight back. Failing that, a flat mirror that can be raised on a string...

* corner reflectors - like a cube cut on the diagonal, which return a beam of light in exactly the same direction as it came from.

Mr Whippy - 12/2/09 at 10:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Failing that, a flat mirror that can be raised on a string...

no you mean one of these...

iank - 12/2/09 at 10:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

* corner reflectors - like a cube cut on the diagonal, which return a beam of light in exactly the same direction as it came from.

The proper name is retroreflectors (used them years ago when doing some robotics work).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroreflector

An interesting idea - just need 3 flat mirrors to make one, but wouldn't they just return the light to their headlamps and not their eyes?

David Jenkins - 12/2/09 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
An interesting idea - just need 3 flat mirrors to make one, but wouldn't they just return the light to their headlamps and not their eyes?

I suppose you could set them at slightly more than 90 degrees to get a bit of 'scatter'.

martyn_16v - 12/2/09 at 01:12 PM

I used to have a big LED sign board that i'd salvaged from a skip. It ran off a 12v power supply, so I was going to put it in the back window of my car, only it was wider than my Fiesta

In hindsight, I probably would have got myself a kicking by flashing up 'learn to drive you ****' to the wrong person