Board logo

DIVORCE !!!!!!
ANDYSHORT - 16/1/09 at 11:05 PM

hi im getting divorced and can anyone give me advice on splitting the house and contents ie am i entitteld to half what the house is worth or half its worth minuse what the morgage is if she wants to buy me out also how do we work out the value of the contents ? anyone with legal knollege out there? sorry about the spelling!!

handyandy - 16/1/09 at 11:45 PM

hi, sorry to hear your news, been there done that an all, i,m not a lawyer but lets say you both agree to sell house, sell for 200k but you owe 100k to your bank/morg then thats 50k each, on the contents its between you both to agree, i strongly suggest you try to agree on as much as possible thru whole situation, its easy to get angry & dig your heals in but that then causes you LARGE legal costs, try to avoid getting "petty" with eachother, depending how long you been together if either of you have a pension then the other person can claim part of it as a joint asset that they are entitled to.
it can get messy, i suggest you speak to a legal advisor/solicitor to get the best advice.
my tip would be .. don,t be soft, & don,t get nasty, hold your head high but get what you are entitled to.
best of luck

Jasper - 17/1/09 at 01:12 PM

Yes, I would agree, keep it civil and you will save yourself a fortune. And if you've got much old furnture / antiques, then get a local auction house in to value it all.

Confused but excited. - 17/1/09 at 02:00 PM

What Andy and Jasper said.
Aguing results in the lawyers getting it all and you both get nowt.

Ninehigh - 25/1/09 at 10:31 PM

Sell. The. House. Really, my missus is paying for that mistake 4 years on cos he's got some attatchment thing that he wants NOW NOW NOW!

geoff shep - 25/1/09 at 10:36 PM

Sorry about your situation - I don't know anything about this site but it has spookily just been recommended on another board I frequent, with people saying they were recommended it by their solicitors:

http://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/