Board logo

key start or push button start
zilspeed - 4/1/09 at 06:03 PM

Let's see who all the fashion victims are then.
What have you got / what are you going for ?

Obviously this is something I'm on the verge of myself, but there really is nothing technically wrong with the existing key mounted right there on the steering column.

smart51 - 4/1/09 at 06:56 PM

You have to put the key in and turn it. You might as well crank on the key too. Unless your wiring loom comes with a push start, you have to choose one because you want one. Lets just say that it says a lot about the chooser.

NigeEss - 4/1/09 at 07:29 PM

Key. As ^^ and less clutter on the dash.

dhutch - 4/1/09 at 11:01 PM

Push button, becuase its easly to keep repeatly pressing...

Mark Allanson - 4/1/09 at 11:14 PM

Key start for drivers, push start for dreamers/wannabees

MikeRJ - 5/1/09 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Push button, becuase its easly to keep repeatly pressing...

You mean it's not as easy to turn a key?

The only place for a push button start is in a competition car that has no ignition/steering lock, just switches for the various circuits.

Alan B - 5/1/09 at 02:03 AM

Yep, no steering lock on mine...not required in FL....so simple homebrewed steering colum with keyswitch on the dash for ignition and PB for start...totally practical and economical, no fashion consideration whatsoever....

RoadkillUK - 5/1/09 at 01:01 PM

We have both, you still need to turn the key before you press the starter button. I know ... what's the point?

Well, tbh, the point is to impress the chavs ... and chavs being chavs, they are impressed

P.S. It's easier to start the car while fiddling with the engine than with a key (not a very good reason but I thought I had to provide one)

DIY Si - 5/1/09 at 05:36 PM

If I actually end up building an Epona, it will have both, but the button will be quite discrete/hidden in an attempt to prevent theft.

Hellfire - 5/1/09 at 05:57 PM

Push button, because it's different to most conventional cars. It's also easier to start if you happen to stall it. Just a quick stab of the button and off you go again.

Phil

dhutch - 6/1/09 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJYou mean it's not as easy to turn a key?

Well its not hard, as said, if you stall it its just handy to bash, partiularly when cold

Daniel

YQUSTA - 7/1/09 at 11:00 AM

I have key atm but will be adding a push button because my home brew paddle shift covers the key area slightly so as others have said if you stall you can restart easier.

YQUSTA

flak monkey - 7/1/09 at 10:05 PM

Key for ignition and pushbutton to start.

RK - 8/1/09 at 01:47 AM

I don't have a key other than a battery cut off switch: just a fuel pump switch, start button and the batt cutoff. This is only because that's the way the mechanic person I hired wired it when he wired the engine.

I like the key mounted under the dash like some Cateringvan's I've seen.

[Edited on 8/1/09 by RK]

DarrenW - 8/1/09 at 10:48 AM

No stg lock, barrel is modified so key for ign, button to start.

Both as good as each other. If i built again id probs keep the stalks etc for ergonomics and retain key start for cost reasons seeing as it makes bot all difference to the car. Better to put effort into other areas.

David Jenkins - 8/1/09 at 12:19 PM

I kept the Sierra ign switch for simplicity, but it is a PITA when I'm wearing thick gloves, especially when the air horn lever switch is just a little bit above it!

Several times I've sounded the horn at unearthly hours in the morning when making a 2nd attempt to start a cold engine!

Jasper - 8/1/09 at 04:33 PM

Ign switch and nice red button to start - then I don't have a bunch of keys hanging around my knee.

Got an immobiliser so don't use the column at all.