Board logo

Anyone got a diamond core drillbit they might be able to lend me maybe?
paul the 6th - 4/12/08 at 11:26 AM

I'm looking for a diamond core drill bit for putting a ventilation hole for the tumble dryer in our pantry. At the moment we have to drag the dryer out, park it next to the back door infront of the fridge and dangle the pipe outside (in -2c weather = not nice)...

A friend of mine has said he'll bring his wired drill but I just need to find a bit to do the job - screwfix is looking about 40-60 quid - which for a job I'll only do once seems a bit of a waste.

Anyone willing to lend maybe? I'll pay a small rental fee Will confirm size asap but I'm sure it's 6 inch for the vapour outlet pipe...

JoelP - 4/12/08 at 12:18 PM

hi mate. Typically 4 or 5 inch round ducting. Doing it with a core drill will be very hard on the drill and your arms. What i do (usually twice a week for work) is draw round the 5inch pipe outside, line it up well so you take out two half bricks and a corner off a third, and just swiss cheese it with an 8mm bit. Then use the sds chisel bit to finish it off. If you have done it properly, then the chips will be covered by the external vent and it will be as tidy as can be. For finish, either silicone it to the wall, (i dont screw them on, silicone does the trick well), and if wanted you can also mortar round it. Either way the result is perfect if done carefully.

Core drills are not worth the wasted time and money IMHO.

Mr Whippy - 4/12/08 at 12:34 PM

cut a hole in the floor and vent it under there? obviously won't work if you have a concrete floor

iank - 4/12/08 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
cut a hole in the floor and vent it under there? obviously won't work if you have a concrete floor

Remind me never to buy a house from you

I drilled mine through the breeze blocks, cavity and brick with a long (I think) 16mm bit to get a center, then chain drilled both sides and and smacked out the cores with a cold chisel. The covers hide the rough edges nicely.

I'm sure Joel's method is quicker though if you have SDS.

[Edited on 4/12/08 by iank]

Mr Whippy - 4/12/08 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Remind me never to buy a house from you

I drilled mine through the breeze blocks, cavity and brick with a long (I think) 16mm bit to get a center, then chain drilled both sides and and smacked out the cores with a cold chisel. The covers hide the rough edges nicely.

I'm sure Joel's method is quicker though if you have SDS.

[Edited on 4/12/08 by iank]

ohhhh but you have to keep all the wee mice warm in the winter....

geoff shep - 4/12/08 at 05:10 PM

Yes - like this. It's 110mm you need, but you need more than a normal power drill. But you can also borrow my SDS drill . Let me know and we can sort out a suitable time. Rescued attachment IMG_1204.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1204.jpg

adam1985 - 5/12/08 at 12:19 PM

these^^ tct drills are not to expensive are they about 20 quid would of thought why not just buy one cant you hire a diamond one and drill from hss or somewhere shouldnt be dear my diamond and proper core drill flies through in no time

Bigheppy - 5/12/08 at 10:05 PM

drill and bit should be available from jewsons on green lane in york

paul the 6th - 7/12/08 at 12:41 AM

ah right, a friend of mine said he had the drill but no bit - I looked into buying one but they're expenseeeve... If I could borrow yours geoff shep, on a set date for as long as it takes to get through the wall, I'll happily sort you out with a bacon sandwich and some tea or coffee....

Where abouts are ya based? I'm just off beckfield lane in acomb (down the side of the sainsburys)

geoff shep - 7/12/08 at 09:26 AM

U2U inbound