Board logo

9 til 5
Andi - 18/11/08 at 12:03 AM

"what a way to make a living"
Started a new job today, no more nights, weekends, xmas, bank holidays and no more on call.
Had 15+ years of it. Its a lot less money but I can go to car shows, gigs, parties, weekend runs and become a Sunday driver if I so wish.
The missus has reeled off a list for me too,
things like shopping, meals, cinema and housework.
Mmmm!!!!

Mr Whippy - 18/11/08 at 07:50 AM

I was a city bus driver for 4 years. Liked the actual job bar the pay but having such a random shift pattern with my (weekend) days off scattered all over the week, late shifts then early shifts or worse split shifts that took up the whole day... it was a total nightmare!! never doing anything like at again. So glad to be on a 9 – 5 or 6 – 4 as I normally work, means me and Miss Whippy leave and get home together and have the weekends aswell, how anyone is meant to have a life with that crazy shift is beyond me.

Unless you are mad Don't become a bus driver!

David Jenkins - 18/11/08 at 12:44 PM

I worked as a contractor in IT for 10 years or so - a fair bit of money, but a lot of pressure and quite a bit of work that had to be done over the weekend (doing the books for my Ltd company, VAT returns, etc.).

I'm now a paid minion on less money, but once I walk out of the door my time's my own.

I'd guess that it's a matter of whatever suits you best.