Board logo

Rant
mistergrumpy - 12/11/08 at 08:41 PM

Bah! Been working all weekend in the pissing rain and cold on a sodding pushbike racking my brains as to why my speedo won't work on the car. Once this is done I can fasten down the bodywork and look at applying for SVA.
Today is my first day off so I was up at 9 and have literally been searching t'internet, trying and racking my brains all sodding day as to what's causing it with a lot of help from 02GF74 I might add which I'm hugely grateful for.
My extra speedo sensor has already met the business end of a hammer so I can get a look inside in search of some answer but I got no where.
I just sat down an hour and half ago to try and forget it and have a play on Forza2 on the Xbox and oh! That's f'ing broke too 3 flashing red rings that mean it has to go back to Microsoft so I've had to p1ss around registering the thing so I can have it sent away.
What a load of sh1t. I've had enough of today

omega0684 - 13/11/08 at 12:34 AM

i take it that you didn't get your other speedo sensor working either then? what seems to be the problem, no signal, where to mount, calculations? what sensor and clock are you using, are they compatible, the same make?

give us more info so we can help you!

Mr Whippy - 13/11/08 at 07:25 AM

quote:
Been working all weekend in the pissing rain and cold on a sodding pushbike

you don't get a car then? cut backs??

mistergrumpy - 13/11/08 at 09:57 AM

Nope no car for me. We absolutely genuinely do not have enough. To be fair though I did get to lead the remembrance day march which I thought was really good.

Nope, no luck with the speedo yet. I'm dreaming about bleeding speedos! It appears to be the sensor. I'm using the one that came from the ZX9 bike. I've tested as per the book and waving a screwdriver past did create a voltage fluctuation but put it onto the loom and nothing. I bought another from a scrappy last week, I'm going to take it back in a bit and see if he will swap it just in case there's owt else.
I'm wondering if there's some kind of amplification problem because when I tested it it uses a 12V source but in reality on the loom it is only supplied with 5V so perhaps the loss is so great at the sensor that there's not enough of a fluctuation to trigger the speedo healer. Or summat like that.

Just to add huge thanks so far to 02GF74 and all and any further advice happily accepted.

[Edited on 13/11/08 by mistergrumpy]

02GF74 - 13/11/08 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I'm wondering if there's some kind of amplification problem because when I tested it it uses a 12V source but in reality on the loom it is only supplied with 5V.

Whoah, are you saying that the loom supplies 5 V and you plugged it in to 12 V?

mistergrumpy - 13/11/08 at 01:13 PM

Only on one of the sensors (the now battered one!) That's what the Haynes manual said to do though. 12V into the feed and 12V with a 10K Ohm into the fedback (pink wire) then check for a fluctuation which it did and the fluctuation was very small.

I kept a sort of control and test sensor.

I've gone and got another one today anyhow which they took off an engine for me and it still don't work

focijohn - 13/11/08 at 05:11 PM

quote:
That's f'ing broke too 3 flashing red rings that mean it has to go back to Microsoft so I've had to p1ss around registering the thing so I can have it sent away.

I turn mine off and on again, when it does that. Assumed it was over heating when that happened, and it has only done it once since it has been moved!