Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange Memory Problem
RazMan

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Strange Memory Problem

I bought 2 Hynix 1Gb modules and installed them both in my ThinkPad T42. Although bios correctly reports 2Gb is installed, Vista freezes on bootup.
I therefore tested the memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool – each 1Gb stick passed separately but failed the test when both were installed.
I have checked that my bios is the latest version and the T42 should accept 2 x 1Gb modules without a problem.

I have tried every combination of slot & module and also substituted a 512Mb stick for one of the 1Gb ones for testing purposes which passed with flying colours.

1Gb + 512Mb = ok
512Mb + 1Gb = ok
1Gb + 1Gb = Failed

Is it possible that these modules have a conflict with each other?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried another make of 1Gb stick? Probably can't use two of the same make for some unfathomable reason.

Oh wait! I see the problem, you mention the word – Vista

my dad got a new lappy with Vista for work none of his old programs work on it PMSL

[Edited on 28/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
They need to be identical specs. If one is a different speed or latency (CAS) rating, they will cause you problems. Generally tho, the machine will beep at you and refuse to boot if the memory modules are mismatched.

If you let it boot with just 1 module in, does the event viewer give any clues as to why it failed to boot - Drivers / services failing or something?

HTH

Vince

madmandegge

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Is it possible that as you're running two sticks together, they're running dual channel and there's an issue there? Not something I've come across I must admit, but who knows.

You could try running memtest, see http://www.memtest.org/#downiso on each individual stick, to see if there's one faulty stick. Just download a prebuilt ISO, then stick the CD in and boot from it, I'd leave it for at least one complete "pass".

I had a very infrequent issue when running 4GB, 2 lots of 2x1GB dual channel, where windows seemed to freeze up, but recover itself, turned out to be a faulty stick in one of the pairs.

Duncan_P

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I appologise if this sounds stupid but.... are they in the correct matching slots. If there is room for 4 memory sticks then its usual for the the matching slots to be the ones next to each other (i.e. AABB). However this isn't always the case so its worth checking the manual.
madmandegge

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan_P
If there is room for 4 memory sticks then its usual for the the matching slots to be the ones next to each other (i.e. AABB).

Not to answer for RazMan, but I'd assume as it's a ThinkPad it'll only have two RAM slots? Feel free to correct me!

BenB

posted on 28/3/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you have mis-matching sticks normally the MB will pull the better one down to the specs of the weaker stick.

I'd second a memtest ISO.

It's worth checking that they're low density sticks. There's lots of temptingly cheap high density sticks going round that most computers won't work properly with. Then again, often if you use high density the computer crashes very early on.

RazMan

posted on 28/3/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
That's the strange thing - they are identical spec modules bought from the same company at the same time - definitely DDR and not the cheaper DDR2.

I used the Windoze memory diagnostic which boots from CD but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to double check with memtest.

The Thinkpad only has 2 slots so it's hard to get it wrong really, strange that a 512Mb and 1Gb (both of them) work together - you would expect that would be iffy at best.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Come back old friend...all is forgiven! Rescued attachment c64_sys2.jpg
Rescued attachment c64_sys2.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Davey D

posted on 28/3/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Are they dual, or single sided modules, as some machine dont like having 2x double sided modules etc

RazMan

posted on 28/3/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Both double sided modules - the same as the original 512Mb one that was in there.

This is getting wierd - I have just tested the bejesus out of all of the modules using Memtest and everything passes - even when both 1Gb are fitted together!

Vista still refuses to boot up and just freezes after the intial scrolling logo thingy - just black screen The event log doesn't give me any news either

[Edited on 28-3-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

madmandegge

posted on 28/3/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible that this is an issue with the sticks running dual channel and Vista?

am googling it now, nothing obvious...

edit - rather large thread at http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=c74a3df0763c77154ffe39a8ec97f93f&showtopic=33671&pid=352336&st=260&#entry352336
with what appears to be the same issue, no solution offered however

someone here mentions the rather odd solution of a new card reader driver being needed! http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1280137

have you tried hammering F8 - then safe mode to boot? vista still has safe mode right?

have you got two sticks of 512mb by any chance?

[Edited on 28/3/08 by madmandegge]

RazMan

posted on 28/3/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm I'm not sure about the dual channel thing but I will read through that thread (14 pages ) and see if anything jumps out at me - it seems to be a video driver thing so maybe I could try a temporary disable of the driver to see if that makes a difference.

I've tried getting into safe mode and actually acheived it on one occasion .... then it froze again.
Retested using the Windows Diagnostic Tool (which boots from DOS like Memtest) and it got stuck at 18% of the test routine.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 28/3/08 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just tried disabling the driver - still no good. Methinks an email to Lenovo Tech Support is called for now.

I still can't fathom why Memtest and Windows Diagnostic can both give different results.

Cheers,
Raz

Schrodinger

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you are certain that your laptop will support 2Mb memory?

Keith
Aviemore

madmandegge

posted on 31/3/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Had any luck with this?
RazMan

posted on 1/4/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
It's going to be one of those problems that everyone is going to deny being responsible for.

I emailed both the memory supplier and the laptop supplier - each say that it has nothing to do with them

Personally I am convinced it is the memory but I think I will just live with 1.5Gb of memory and see how it goes. Vista seems to be ok with it at the moment.

Cheers,
Raz

Schrodinger

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
It's going to be one of those problems that everyone is going to deny being responsible for.

I emailed both the memory supplier and the laptop supplier - each say that it has nothing to do with them

Personally I am convinced it is the memory but I think I will just live with 1.5Gb of memory and see how it goes. Vista seems to be ok with it at the moment.

You could try buying some memory from your laptop supplier and see if that works. Might be a bit expensive way though.

Keith
Aviemore

Grunty

posted on 2/4/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
They need to be identical specs. If one is a different speed or latency (CAS) rating, they will cause you problems.

They don't need to be identical. They'll all just run at the speed of the slowest stick/pair.

OP, go into BIOS and set the RAM voltages manually.

RazMan

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grunty

Excellent idea except that IBM do not have a bios with any user editable functions.

Cheers,
Raz

Grunty

posted on 2/4/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:
Originally posted by Grunty

Excellent idea except that IBM do not have a bios with any user editable functions.

FRIGGERS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.