Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which one?
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/9/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Which one?

I am just about to do the upgrade on my computer, from 1800 athlon with 133fsb to 4200 dual core with 500?fsb.

When I bought the processor, I didn't realise that the cooler came with it so I bought one specially.

Shall I use the tried and tested AMD cooler or the much bigger 'Samurai' one? Rescued attachment Coolers.jpg
Rescued attachment Coolers.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

nick205

posted on 22/9/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
The bigger one loos like it's a liqud cooled jobbie - do you need to plumb it in?

Either way I'd use the Samurai one as it has a cool name

cloudy

posted on 22/9/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
use the quieter of the two, the stock heatsink does a great job...
ecosse

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Stock heatsink will do a good job, Samurai is for the clockers really

Cheers
Alex

UncleFista

posted on 22/9/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me, I'd run the bigger one at 7volts, for good cooling with less noise.

Just use the 12v line as positive and the 5v line as the negative. I do this with all my case fans

The "pipes" in the bigger cooler are "heat pipes" there's a liquid/gas inside that evaporates and condenses transferring heat to the fins.

[Edited on 22/9/07 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

bimbleuk

posted on 23/9/07 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
As above ^^^^

Go for the biggest fan you can fit and run it slowly to reduce noise. The stock coolers are good at stock speeds and even a little higher but they build them to a cost so the fans are usually small and noisy. Your case cooling with have a big effect though.

RazMan

posted on 23/9/07 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Check the AMD fan to see if it has an on-board heat sensor/speed control. If both connectors are identical, the heatpipe cooler will probably be quieter anyway as it has a larger fan, especially if it is heat controlled by the motherboard.

[Edited on 23-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/9/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I used the AMD one in the end as the size of the samurai was a bit of a problem.

One big problem I encountered was the MB has a power connector with 24 pins and my power supply has a 20 pin, bugger!

Ebuyer have converters for only £2 so not a disaster, but it does mean I cannot fire up the computer until Tuesday night - and there was me getting all excited

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.