Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows XP extra Start button has appeared
Humbug

posted on 3/11/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Windows XP extra Start button has appeared

As title - today, I found an extra Start button, which seems to have computer management and utility type programs on it.

Anyone know what it is, how it got there and how to get rid of it? The pic shows the normal Start button and taskbar moved to the left, and the new one (different style) bottom left with the menu items. Rescued attachment Screenshot 2009-11-03 22.0701.jpg
Rescued attachment Screenshot 2009-11-03 22.0701.jpg

Humbug

posted on 3/11/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm I tried to choose the option Reload menu and it came up with an error to do with Nu2menu. I Googled it and it says it is to do with BartPE. I killed Nu2menu.exe in Task Manager, so I will see if it reapperas next time I reboot.
BenB

posted on 3/11/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. If you type "reload menu clear RAM drive" into google you get loads of Nu2menu links....
robocog

posted on 3/11/09 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
ROFL, did I make you a CD at some point?
Check the disk drive :-)

Its what I use to make an emergency boot disk (PeBuilder) and the menu looks exactly how I do them and the logo on start is deffo mine and I should have copywrited it ...V unlikely anyone else would have bothered taking the wee out of the microsoft broken window logo :-)

If there is 'trully' no CD in the drive just run Msconfig (start > run) and take the tick out of nu2menu.exe and it will stop it loading on boot and whatever you did with my boot disk don't do it again as it means you have possibly copied something to somewhere it should not be :-)

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 3/11/09 by robocog]

[Edited on 4/11/09 by robocog]

Mark G

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like you've dragged the start bar to the left side of the screen by accident.

Click and hold on the blue part of the bar where there are no Icons and drag it down to the bottom of the screen in the middle. You should see a line appear at the bottom of the screen indicating where the start bar will be placed. Then let go of the button.

When you have the start bar at the bottom of the screen right click on it and select 'lock the taskbar' to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Mark.

Davey D

posted on 4/11/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
If you insert a live windows CD ( like Bart PE) it will autorun when its in your drive, and load up the PE start bar like it has. ending the process will get rid of it

Humbug

posted on 4/11/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
It hasn't reappered this morning, so it looks like I have managed to kill it.

No, I didn't accidentally drag the normal taskbar to the left - I did it deliberately to show the other one on top.

Rob - you did send me a link once, but I also have another copy of BartPE... not sure how the menu got loaded yesterday, though

Simon

Werner Van Loock

posted on 4/11/09 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
If the disc is in your drive then it auto loads, so isn't your BartPE disc in the drive? If not, you might of accidentally started it from the HD.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.