Board logo

Which Vista?
donut - 21/6/07 at 10:59 PM

Ok my PC has gone pop and it needs to be replaced. I'm looking to replace it with a laptop (maybe) but they all come with Vista as std. What RAM would you think was minimum (all i can afford is a 1 gig ram jobby) and which version is ok for basic use?

I have heard that with the Vista basic you can't load new software without contacting Microsoft. Is this true? The Premium is available on some machines with 1Gig of ram which i guess will be ok.

Cheers

andyharding - 21/6/07 at 11:08 PM

Get a Mac and you won't look back

MkIndy7 - 21/6/07 at 11:18 PM

I'd say avoid it completely if possible!

If there's no other option then go for the 32 bit version, the 64 bit version built for Dual Core Pc's has big compatability problems, although I should imagine the 32bit version has some of the same.

Its silly programs and things that you try running and the just won't as their coding basically says "if its not Windows 98, ME, XP" then don't install to stop you running them on older machines but as Vista isin't in that list it won't install either.

I've found Nokia don't support XP for their PcSuite software and neither do Sony-Ericson. My Cannon IXUS 400 (bout 2-3years old) it corupts the foto's from it was some decoder was freely available with XP but you need a liscence on Vista.
The support is coming but its taking time.

I've got the 64-bit Ultimate Edition and with all the glossy features turned on.. it takes 45% of the 2GB Ram just running windows background things (MSN, 1 IE window, Outlook, and anti-virus).. if you quit halfway through a game this is upto 98%! so i've just gone as far as 4GB ram!

You can load any software you want.. this issue with Microsoft comes with when buy 1 copy of Vista but want to install it on all the computers in your house.. you used to be able to do it as you were the owner of the software and rights, but as it now validates iteslf to that specific machine you have to ring them up for another authorisation code (about £40 I think I read for each machine)

donut - 21/6/07 at 11:25 PM

I think i'm going to get a MAC as i'm fed up with PC's and theres enough free software out there that i need!

trikerneil - 22/6/07 at 04:12 AM

I'm sure I read that Dell were doing laptops with Linux on them.

Aha! look HERE

[Edited on 22/6/07 by trikerneil]

RazMan - 22/6/07 at 05:48 AM

The trouble with Linux is that there are even more incompatability issues than Vista. Try running all the MS progs like Office 2007, Corel Draw, Photoshop and the like.

Vista is a very capable os and I am sure the problems will be ironed out as time goes on, but XP is definitely more straightforward at the moment. I use Vista Ultimate on my desktop P4 and XP on my lappy P3 - seems the best way for me.

donut - 22/6/07 at 05:50 AM

I do remember not getting on with a MAC that i had so before i pay out i'll go have a look at a Vista machine.

britishtrident - 22/6/07 at 06:56 AM

This month Staples have good deals on Fujitsu Siemens Amlio laptops loaded with Vista Home Basic

Also look at the Morgan computer site (very good company to deal with)

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4068

DaveFJ - 22/6/07 at 07:24 AM

1, Avoid Vista Basic - it's crap - basically has all the good stuff removed so you just end up with a less usable PC.

2, If you are looking for a laptop make sure is says 'Vista Certified' NOT 'Vista capable' or 'Vista Compatible'... Vista Certified means it will work with all versions of Vista and has been tested fully and certified by Microsoft. the other 2 mean absolutely nothing! - beleive me I found this out to my cost! they just mean that the hardware was made to run Vista at least once in one configuration...

3, If you are going to use Vista DON'T even consider less than 2Gb of RAM. I'm running 4Gb on my media station and it struggles some times!

4, If you are worried about compatibility with older software then don't buy a 64 bit system. However this will limit you on the life of the machine as Microsoft and other vendors are now committed to killing off 32 bit completely

5, If you look around you will find decent machines that come with XP installed and a free upgrade to Vista. this might be a good option to keep yourself flexible. Also an OEM upgrade DVD for Vista Ultimate only costs £110....

6, (a Slight aside here) A colleague of mine recently bought Vista Ultimate (not OEM) and you get 2 DVDs a 32bit version and a 64bit version. He installed the 32 bit and then phoned Microshaft saying that he wanted to also install the 64bit version as a dual boot setup on the same PC so he could evaluate it. But the OS will not allow you to do this with the same CD key. Microsoft just gave him a new key over the phone for free!

HTH

[Edited on 22/6/07 by DaveFJ]

ecosse - 22/6/07 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
What RAM would you think was minimum (all i can afford is a 1 gig ram jobby) and which version is ok for basic use?

I have heard that with the Vista basic you can't load new software without contacting Microsoft. Is this true? The Premium is available on some machines with 1Gig of ram which i guess will be ok.

Cheers

Vista basic works fine (although little more than a better looking XP) and 1gb is plenty memory for this version, most vista slowdown comes with premium versions, program compatibilty issues are reducing now (but check what you have will work b4 buying) and there are few driver problems left either.
The 32 bit version is all you need and will be supported for a long (in computer terms anyway!) time yet

It's not that big a deal really buy the best you can afford and don'tworry about it

Cheers

Alex

Hellfire - 22/6/07 at 07:57 AM

I had Vista Ultimate until I discovered most of my applications didn't run on it...

It is now back in it's box and I'm running XP once more... I'll venture out again in a year when MS get their act together.

Yet another massive program that doesn't do what it says on the tin... paying full wak to be a BETA tester doesn't exactly fill me with hope...

Steve

donut - 22/6/07 at 11:45 AM

Well I have purchased a Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium and 2 gig of ram. The CPU is pretty good and the graphics look fine too. Can't be beat for the money!

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/6/07 at 03:42 PM

posted on 22-6-07 at 08:57 Edit Post Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator
I had Vista Ultimate until I discovered most of my applications didn't run on it...

It is now back in it's box and I'm running XP once more... I'll venture out again in a year when MS get their act together.

Yet another massive program that doesn't do what it says on the tin... paying full wak to be a BETA tester doesn't exactly fill me with hope...

Steve

[Edited on 22-6-07 by mangogrooveworkshop] Rescued attachment sucks1.jpg
Rescued attachment sucks1.jpg

Hellfire - 22/6/07 at 04:12 PM

NICE ONE!!!!

Steve

MikeRJ - 23/6/07 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
I'd say avoid it completely if possible!

Agreed, what a bloated slug of an operating system