Board logo

Graphics card
pjavon - 21/3/07 at 07:42 PM

I'm after a new grahics card but i'm not sure what type this is AGP or PCI-E. I think it's the later one but not sure, i'm thinking of getting a Geforce 7600GT as i've got a 22'' screen and need a high resolution, any advice please as i have fitted a card before but got told what to buy then so didn't realise there were different ones.
Thanks
Paul

Trailer loaded rear view
Trailer loaded rear view

ecosse - 21/3/07 at 07:50 PM

Strange color but, AGP slot

Cheers

Alex

Duncan_P - 21/3/07 at 08:15 PM

As eccose says

Red one is AGP

The white(ish) one is PCI

You want to go for an AGP card out of preference as the socket speed is slightly faster.

pjavon - 21/3/07 at 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replys, so does this mean i can buy either type of card as i meant the white one but as you say the red one is AGP so i could buy any type?

jlparsons - 21/3/07 at 08:51 PM

PCI and PCI-E are very different, i think you have PCI which is only compatible with very very old cards. AGP card is your best bet, and i think they still build them.

Keith Weiland - 21/3/07 at 09:40 PM

The empty red slot is an AGP slot, the other slots are old PCI slots and there are no current graphics cards which make use of PCI slots. PCI express as has already been said is completely different and you don't have it on that board so you need an AGP card. The best AGP card available is the nVidia 7800GS but the 7800GT is pretty close and quite a lot cheaper.

locogeoff - 21/3/07 at 09:44 PM

find out what kind of motherboard you have, get on the net and get a manual for it then read it to find out the specs of the port as early AGP uses different voltages than later ones, I'm not sure wether an 8X AGP card will fit in a 1,2,4X slot and vice versa could be catastrophic if you get it wrong

O.K. Just done a quick search its a 4X/8X AGP slot so any newer AGP graphics technology will do what yo want.

[Edited on 21/3/07 by locogeoff]

pjavon - 22/3/07 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for the advice locojeff and keith, thats just what i needed to be told, so if i buy the gforce 7800gs/gt i can plug it into the red slot and load the drivers and hopefully get my higher resolution for my new screen, i hope
Thanks for your help and if you think i need anymore advice please feel free to tell me as i'm a steel fabricator so computers don't come naturally to me

Keith Weiland - 22/3/07 at 03:48 PM

Just make sure the box or the description says AGP as there are PCI express versions of both cards also.

I own a computer store so if your have any trouble finding one or just want to be sure you get the right part then let me know and I will source one for you.

Gav - 22/3/07 at 05:18 PM

Just for future reference, it does tell you what type of port it is.

Description
Description

[Edited on 22/3/07 by Gav]