Board logo

oh dear...missing drivers
Mr Whippy - 10/1/10 at 05:13 PM

hi again

well some of you will rememeber that I decided to install windows XP instead of Vista and bought a Gen Copy of XP.

I went through the instructions to the letter but it now seems I may have been better taking a copy of the drivers, oops

Finally managed to get an internet connection to it but the wireless is not working and a few other things, I think due to the missing drivers. Prob is how do I get them???? I thought if I connected the computer to the web it would then go and find what it needed but so far I haven't even seen an option for that and it only wants to look at a CD. Here's a screen shot of the device manager showing the missing drivers.

Could anyone help, please??

thanks Rescued attachment missing drivers.JPG
Rescued attachment missing drivers.JPG

RichardK - 10/1/10 at 05:16 PM

Download a copy of everest free edition and install it, it should then tell you what the item is and who made it allowing you to go to the manufacturer website and download them hopefully.

I take it its not a branded pc where you can just go to the brands site to get them.

Cheers

Rich

Edited cos of my rubbish spelling and grammer.

[Edited on 10/1/10 by RichardK]

locostbuyer83 - 10/1/10 at 05:17 PM

easy, go to the PC or motherboard manufacturers website, select support > driver downloads..

select you mobo or pc and download all applicable drivers.

u2u if u get lost

Madinventions - 10/1/10 at 05:20 PM

For each device, right click and choose 'properties'. Then go to the 'Details' tab and set the box to 'Device Instance Id. You'll see a string of numbers on the main box like 'PCIVEN_14F1&DEV_1034&SUBSYS_15101048&REV_084&3B1D9AB8&0&3840
'.
Double click on this to select all the text and press Ctrl-C to copy.
Open Google and paste the string into the search box. You may need to trim the string a bit to improve the search. I got rid of the bit from '4&3B1D...' onwards in the example above.

This should show what the hardware is and give you a link to the manufacturers website. If nothing turns up, try looking here which should certainly tell you what it is and get you a link.

Even easier is to paste the numbers into this site (link) which normally gives you a direct download link for the driver.

Ed.

[Edited on 10/1/10 by Madinventions]

prawnabie - 10/1/10 at 05:21 PM

Ah you using a seperate soundcard and videocard?

If not all of those drivers relate to the mainboard.

Shaun

[Edited on 10/1/10 by prawnabie]

Peteff - 10/1/10 at 06:03 PM

It only wants to look at a cd ? There's a little box to click to tell it to look somewhere else at the side of the locations to search usually. Delete them all and do a restart then it should let you do a search if it's connected to the interwebnet.

zilspeed - 10/1/10 at 06:13 PM

My usual method - once you have an internet connection on the PC.

Uninstall all of the 'other devices'.
For as long as they're in there, it won't fix them itself.

Do a search for new hardware and when it finds each item let it search the internet for drivers. That pretty much always works for me.

Easy Peasy.
Your little list there would be fixed in about 10 minutes using this method and you don't have to do any faffing about yourself.

Mr Whippy - 10/1/10 at 10:03 PM

thanks guys with all your good advice the computer is up and running very well

superb