Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rivnut tool... how to use?
thepest

posted on 23/1/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnut tool... how to use?

I just bought myself a rivnut tool but it has no instructions. I have been trying a few blanks on some scrap. My question is: How far should you pull? Its not like a pop rivet where you break the end off so how would you know how far to pull the thread till it secures in place?
turbodisplay

posted on 23/1/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is normally a screw to prevent pulling too far, you set it once you have got it right.
I go by force, it is quite hard to damage steel rivnuts, ali it is quite possible.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/1/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
certainly with the ones I've tried the tool 'automatically' snaps in half with a loud bang preventing the rivnut becoming too tight, which is fine if you have only one to fit

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 23/1/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
hi, screw the rivnut onto the thread until the end is flush,insert in hole(fnah,fnah)squeeze handles initially they will be quite easy and then you meet more resistance this is the time to stop,slow and steady wins the race wayno!!! Rescued attachment bikepics-215271-320.jpg
Rescued attachment bikepics-215271-320.jpg

thepest

posted on 23/1/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks, So there is no setting to use depending on the thickness of the material you are riviting in?
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/1/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
no not really, you can tell when they go tight, the thing is when you bolt the final fitting on, say a skuttle, the rivnut just tightens up even more so it should never go slack, fool proof.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Macbeast

posted on 23/1/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
When the tool strips the thread in the Rivnut, that's just too much force

Seriously, if you take it easy, you can feel the Rivnut deforming and then it gets tighter. That's the moment to stop.

mad-butcher

posted on 23/1/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just one point about rivnuts make sure you buy the serrated ones, as they fold the serrations grip the metal preventing them from spinning, the plain shank ones tend to spin
Tony

tomblyth

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
just my opinion but i think riv nuts are poo I always weld a nut into the rails!
02GF74

posted on 25/1/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomblyth
just my opinion but i think riv nuts are poo I always weld a nut into the rails!

I totally disagree. It depends on what you are using them to hold.

... but back to the question. You need to work outthe preset on some similar thickness scrap and you can see when the flange has formed.

I was too lazy to do that and after stripping an aluminium one, I put on a steel nut onto the tool behind the rivnut (making fixing on sctuttle to hold a dashboard) whcih ofcourse won't be possible if you are doing it blind.

In that case it is getting the feel or presetting the tool.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.