Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tips on Soldering York Plumbing Joints
James

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Tips on Soldering York Plumbing Joints

Had to resort to some copper plumbing pieces in my new rad setup to get round the rack.

Have never done any plumbing before so maybe that explains why it leaks!

Any tips for plumbing soldering. I know that York fittings are the easy option so I'm obviously doing something retarded to have it leaking!

I'm using a Taymar blow lamp with a butane/propane mix. Is this too hot so I've given the joint too much heat?

Or maybe too little?

About how much time should I spent heating the joint to know it's melted fully?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks,
James

EDIT: I've got to replace a bathroom soon.... so any skills learnt here will come in very handy!

[Edited on 2/4/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

graememk

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
maybe to much heat

were the joints nice and clean first, did you use flux ?

Peteff

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Clean the end of the pipe and the inside of the joint with wire wool, shiny shiny. Flux the end of the pipe and push it in to the stop then warm the joint and the pipe together till a ring of silver appears all round. Now stop.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Balls! You have to use flux with York do you? Hah! Didn't think of that!

If I'd thought about it I'd have assumed it was used just for non-York fittings where you have to apply the solder yourself.

Thanks!!!

James

P.S. As well as fixing the car I may not flood the kitchen from the bathroom above now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

RazMan

posted on 3/4/07 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
I always apply a little electrical solder to the joint to help things along. Beware of using too much heat or the solder just runs out of the joint - just enough is just right

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 3/4/07 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yep clean up and a little flux.

Generally I kept warming mine until you get a nice ring of solder forming arround the lip of the joint.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

JonBowden

posted on 3/4/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I always apply a little electrical solder to the joint

Remember that you should NEVER do this on domestic water pipes since electrical solder contains lead - you should use lead free solder instead

Jon

RazMan

posted on 3/4/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Ooooh that probably explains why I'm going senile too early

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bartonp

posted on 3/4/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
quote:

I always apply a little electrical solder to the joint

Remember that you should NEVER do this on domestic water pipes since electrical solder contains lead - you should use lead free solder instead

We still have lead pipes. Water co. maintains chemical content of water supply to prevent leaching of the lead.

DarrenW

posted on 3/4/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
As said before, pipes must be well shiny. Flux the joint. I always heat the pipe, you will see the heat ring travel down the pipe and into the joint, once soldered the solder ring will be available. At this pint i remove the heat and apply a little more plumbing solder for good measure (end dipped in flux first).

You will be amazed how easy it is when you get the hang of it.

If doing a number of joins close together assemble them up first.

Your failed joints will easily come apart with more heat. I find plumbing to be a very satisfying job. I bought the good quality torch, pipe cutters, solder, flux etc and it makes it all a whole load easier.

BenB

posted on 3/4/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Few tips- only apply flux to where you want the solder to go- if you liberally apply it all over the tube the solder will be more likely to run.

Also, apply the heat until you begin to see a very little silver solder peaking out of the joint. When you take off the heat the residual heat in the joint will allow it to wick a bit more making perfect joints (or that's the plan anyway)....

Surrey Dave

posted on 3/4/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Like this?

Rescued attachment bottomhose1 vsml.jpg
Rescued attachment bottomhose1 vsml.jpg

James

posted on 4/4/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty much like that, yeah!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Cheers,
James

Marcus

posted on 4/4/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Electrical solder hasn't had lead in it for years, so that's not problem, it's the flux that's not good for you.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

John Bonnett

posted on 7/4/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
James, whatever you do, do not have your soft soldered pipework powder coated. Powder coating temperatures will melt the solder and the assembly will fall to pieces.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.